what kind of support to use while nursing. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When nursing what kind of support do you use.  Right now I have a boppy pillow that was handmade.  I lay him across it for my right side to do the cradle hold, and it seems like it was working, but now I feel like its not. He fussy's and cry's more on that side. I have a fast let down flow, and he wants to come up for air in like 5 minutes or sooner.  On my left side I do the football hold and he does not fussy or cry that much.  I was wondering what other kinds of pillows are out there.  I saw one on babyrus but no one bought it for me on my registry. I either sit on our rocking chair or on the bed to nurse.  The morning I tried the football hold on my right side and it was a bit of a challenge and he did stay on for a longer period of time. I guess because I'm right handed I have to find the best positions for him to nurse, and for me to feel comfortable.  what are some better positions to nurse. I feel that I hunch down more to nurse him instead of leaning back.

#2 of 4 Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 AM

With my first I used a brestfriend pillow and it was good, much more supportive than a boppy style. It was helpful when still learning how to hold her correctly.  When my second arrived, I was a seasoned BF'er, so I didn't use anything.  Cradle hold, just holding the baby.  I find when you rely on having something support your baby (like a pillow) you end up with wonky positioning for a good latch.  The pillow is just supposed to support your arms, not the baby.

I'd work on getting used to a regular old cradle hold as football hold isn't condusive for nursing past a certain age (they get too long).  As for the heavy letdown, I found kellymom.com's advice helpful: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html.  My DD was a marathon nurser, would nurse at least 45 minutes in the beginning, my DS not so much.  If he is done in five minutes and content, he might truly be done at that point.

HTH

#3 of 4 Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

thanks.  I was reading that link the other day too.  I'll look into the breast friend pillow.  The boppy pillow is not doing so much.  When I'm nursing on the bed I have regular pillows supporting my back and arms, but I'm sitting upright and not laying down, and I feel that my breast's are mushing is little tummy. I have tried nursing on my rocking chair and I'm not that comfortable with it.  My son was born two weeks early due to low amino fluid and he was also a bit on the small size.  He was 5 pounds and 6 ounces.  Now he is a month old and when I went to the doctors the other day he is 7 pounds and 6 ounces.   So he gained some weight even when he is spitting up normal and also vomiting it up on my right side that's the fast flow.

#4 of 4 Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM

Look into laid back nursing. It may be just what you need to develop the right balance for you and your babe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page