Addicted to BF? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let me start by saying, I do not want and am not ready to wean my 9 month old daughter... however, she is nursing so much that I am starting to feel a little resentful (and then guilty for feeling resentful and frustrated for feeling guilty...) I don't think I would mind as much if she were actually feeding every time/the whole time, but she just wants to hang out on my breast constantly and particularly to sleep. She stopped taking a pacifier at about 5 months and is now using me as her pacifier!  I am sure this is sounding all too common, but as a first time momma who is severely sleep deprived (did I mention she needs to "nurse" avery two hours all night?) I'm feeling at my wits end and don't want my feelings to effect her.  It is a battle every time I put her to sleep because she will not go to sleep any other way with me and once she's asleep another battle begins when I try to take her off to put her down.  I bring her in my bed in the AM to try to get in an extra hour of sleep, but she can't lie next to me without wanting to be latched.  This is starting to get uncomfortable for me- sore nipples and hard to lie still with my breast in her mouth... any advice on how to break her of this habit of using me as her paci gently and without hurting her feelings?  

#2 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM

My solution was to learn how to sleep with my DS attached. He still nurses a lot at night, but we both sleep through it. Have you tried different laying down nursing positions?

#3 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 PM

I just wanted to give you some encouragement and let you know that it will get better. DS1 was (as still is) a boob addict ;) However, his night time has gotten so much better. It usually gets better, than worse, then better than worse. But overall, there's a progression to better sleep for everyone. I've found usually he would get the worst sleep and need to be attached more when he was sick, or teething. Do you think this could be the case with your DD? Also, I second the pp idea to just find a way to get comfy while DD remains attached. That will be the way everyone gets the most sleep (IMO).

#4 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, ladies!  I have tried different sleep positions, I am just a fidgety sleeper anyway so with her attached it makes it harder.  I am just worried that she'll never learn to sleep without it if I let her "hang on" all the time.  I do think she has four teeth coming in at once, so (good point!) maybe that is making her a little extra clingy.  Thank you for the encouragement anyway.  Hopefully she will make some improvement once these teeth poke through!

#5 of 6 Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 AM

my DD was sleeping latched at that age. at 15 months she started falling asleep after nursing (nurse, then lay down in her own bed) and usually sleeping 11-12 hours straight at night. it's not so much that they need to learn how to sleep without it, as most of them will once they hit the right developmental milestones. Hang in there mama, it will get easier. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#6 of 6 Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Marissa!  That is very encouraging.  She just started doing that on her own or did you use any techniques to get to that point?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page