Daughter will not stay latched on - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 6 weeks old. For the past several weeks, she will start feeding with a perfectly good latch, but only stay latched for about 10 seconds then pull her head up and away from my nipple, then goes right back for the nipple again. This cycle continues throughout the entire feeding. Sometimes she gets frustrated and starts rooting like crazy and then screams at my breast. She will even have my entire nipple and areola in her moth and still will not latch. Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 06:12 AM

my 6 week old son will do this when he's not hungry.  (but I offer the breast- because that's usually the first thing i offer when he's fussy)

usually he needs to pee-  or just wants to change positions (like go from laying down to being upright)

sometimes he needs to burp- then he'll nurse.

good luck!

Love is my religion. 

Old 07-08-2011, 06:40 AM

This sounds like she's trying to trigger a letdown. My DD did this a lot too, and still sometimes does it when she's tired and I'm now letting down fast enough for her. When she tugs her head back it pulls the nipple, which should trigger a let down.
Try taking a calm, deep breath when this starts happening and massage your breast toward the nipple. Then, if that doesn't work you can try some breast compressions to force the milk down.
Hope that helps!

goorganic.jpggd.gifnovaxnocirc.gifnak.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

User Tag List