Nursing again after almost 2yrs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 08-11-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I am crazy....

Long story short, my now 27 month old weaned between 3-7 months and my milk has been completly dry since he was about 9mos. I worked really really hard to get him back on the breast between 5-7mos and finally stopped in order to save our mommy baby relationship..I have a million theories on why I had trouble with supply and why he wouldn't nurse but its fairly irrelevent to the current situation I think.

Well, around 1yr he started randomly trying to nurse (I almost always allow him to try and it has always been his initiation not mine)..but he would either bite or laugh and then go back to playing...

I am 22 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and recently starting getting "milk" in my breasts again...now BOTH my 4yo (who nursed until he was 3 - he actually weaned after the baby) and my 2yo have been asking to nurse at least several times per day...I think they can sense the milk is there or something. I am not letting the 4yo (I wouldn't mind but DH would kill me lol) but I let the 2yo try last week or so and he said, "EWWW!" and ran away...well he asked again tonight and I let him try again...he seemed to really like it. He would not stay latched on but he would suck a bit and then pull off and grin and say, "mmmm" and ask for the other side and the milk would be dripping out of the one he just let go of...

Anyway...I'm not really sure what to do..it never occured to me in my wildest dreams that this child would nurse again...and this could totally be on isolated incident...but, I just wonder what to do if he keeps it up? I'm A) worried about the safety of starting nursing during pregnancy (I have nursed through before..I'm just worried about starting in the middle of a pregnancy) and B) assuming it is ok to nruse him wondering what I should do if anything...encourage or not? Gently teach him (he was definately getting milk, I just think if he keeps this up my nipples will really hurt from the unlatching and relatching)? I have done internet searches and stuff but it is really hard to find anything about toddlers learning to nurse for the first time after not nursing sense babies and then the pregnancy facotr complicates it too...and of course for now anyway this is just for comfort if we move forward...I can't imagine there is *much* milk available at this point.

Oh and I just thought of this...if it is unsafe to continue how do I deal with that? I would feel horrible if DS2 suddenly wants to nurse again and after all the trying to get him to nurse as a baby I just feel so awful if I suddenly discourage him from it...

I would love any info, opinions, ideas, etc...

ETA- its a day later and he asked to nurse several times this morning but we were already late for daycare, he asked as soon as I picked him up, and finally I sat down with him right before bed and he "nursed" like he did last night...sucking for a bit and pulling off (which is fairly similar to how he nursed as a baby...he never had a strong or persistant suck, in retrospect I think he may even have a slight tongue tie but he has a much strong suck now so I think he could nurse if he stayed latched on long enough...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page