Nursing 14mo, sudden pain in right breast. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been nursing my 14 month old and things have basically been fine (rough patches here and there but basically fine). Anyhow, about 3 weeks ago, I had a plugged duct in my right breast. After it went away, I had a milk blister and a sore nipple. I followed Kellymom's advice on the milk blister and it went away but the pain remained. For the past few days, the hour following nursing on that side is very painful. I get random shooting pains throughout the breast. I've also had pain while she latches on that side.

I've read about thrush and vasospasms and am wondering about both. I don't have a lot of other symptoms (and neither does the babe) other than the pain. Should I see someone about the thrush possibility? Who would I see, my obgyn or an LC or my general doc? I'm not really sure where to go from here to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.

This is my third baby that I've breastfed and I have had so many issues this time around! The tongue tie (with cracked nipples), serious mastitis, tons of plugged ducts, a milk blister, and now this! I hope to make it to 2 years as I did with the others but it's seriously wearing on me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Hi! I'm a first time breastfeeding mom to my nine month old son and we've had only one month out of nine pain-free. Last month was blissful!  Long story short after several rounds of unsuccessfully treating my breast pain for thrush/yeast I finally figured out - I - finally figured out (thanks to loads of reading), that I was suffering from vasospasm and not yeast.  Both thrush and vasospasm can be brought on by a trauma to your breast, which it sounds like you certainly have had.  They can have similar symptoms for sure.  However thrush is definitely more common, and easier to treat.  I'd see your LC first and get her opinion. Maybe you can avoid going to the doctor, but you might have to if the LC thinks you need meds. Dr. Jack Newman has great resources on breast pain- his work was most helpful to me and he even wrote me back when I emailed him through his website. I'd just say seek relief fast - you don't want that pain to last, and remember that you are your best advocate! 

#3 of 3 Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response! I will definitely get out Dr. Jack Newman's work and schedule an appointment. This pain is getting old! Glad you found a solution to yours!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page