What is the least objectionable formula to supplement with? - Mothering Forums

What is the least objectionable formula to supplement with?

Fulhouse's Avatar Fulhouse (TS)
12:50 PM Liked: 13
#1 of 13
08-25-2011 | Posts: 89
we just picked the most organic we could find in the middle of the night. Has anyone researched the most healthy, least toxic, etc formula when you absolutely, positively have to supplement?

Not interested in soy for sure.

What have you all used, if you had to supplement?
nmoss's Avatar nmoss
11:55 PM Liked: 0
#2 of 13
08-25-2011 | Posts: 64
Babies Only would be my recommendation. I had to supplement due to low supply when I went back to work and Babies Only is what my pediatrician (Dr. Jay Gordon) recommended.
poorlittlefish's Avatar poorlittlefish
07:02 AM Liked: 35
#3 of 13
08-26-2011 | Posts: 309

They are really all basically the same so I don't know that one is more objectionable than the other unless you feel strongly about the giving of free samples to new mom's etc. Anyways, we used Walmart Organic formula when I had to supplement for my older daughter.

homemademom's Avatar homemademom
11:57 AM Liked: 63
#4 of 13
08-26-2011 | Posts: 1,269

We had to supplement with our current baby due to low supply and tongue tie.  What I didn't know when I started giving it to him was that regular formulas are made with straight powdered cow's milk (even Baby's Only). For some reason, I assumed they'd be processed in some way as to be more easily digested since we all know it's bad to give a newborn straight cow's milk.  Anyway, my baby threw that all up terribly (and we do have a history of dairy-allergic babies, so it makes sense), so we switched to a partially digested one (Carnation Good Start, no organic option, unfortunately). That seemed okay for a couple weeks, then ds started having problems with it, so we ultimately switched to Alimentum which is completely broken down. It's pricey and it smells really bad, but ds would take it just fine. Fortunately, it made up just a small portion of his diet.  We don't have to supplement any more (and I still have to remain dairy-free), but should you find that your baby doesn't tolerate whole cow's milk formulas, there are a few other options.

01:40 PM Liked: 13
#5 of 13
09-05-2011 | Posts: 89
SHe's tolerating the cows milk organic formula fine but I hate the ingredients. (by the way, to the dr. Jay Gordon patient -- you are so lucky. I love him!)

I am thinking about trying the Weston a. Price homemade formula. I am still only able to pump 1 oz a session. greensad.gif
12:56 PM Liked: 35
#6 of 13
09-06-2011 | Posts: 309

This is my opinion only, so take it for what it is.  Commercial formula has been tested to be nutritionally complete and babies can grow and thrive on it.  I am very leary of homemade formulas and their ability to give babies what they need. 

luckiest's Avatar luckiest
03:04 PM Liked: 518
#7 of 13
09-08-2011 | Posts: 862

I was going to suggest the WAP homemade formula.  I feel like I remember reading that Earth's Best is one of the only commercial formulas available without corn syrup, but I could be wrong there.  For me, that would be a big factor.  I hope you find something that works.

Thing1Thing2's Avatar Thing1Thing2
08:22 PM Liked: 28
#8 of 13
10-15-2011 | Posts: 1,335

Supplementing with formula currently because my baby has terrible reflux if I eat anything besides rice and turkey. Hoping he gets better as he grows so he can be EBF again greensad.gif

We are using Alimentum (the liquid version). The protiens are broken down, it's hypoallergenic and there is no corn syrup.

03:20 PM Liked: 13
#9 of 13
10-16-2011 | Posts: 89

Well, I did try the Weston A. Price formula, and there were some transitional tummy troubles as we slowly replaced the CRAP organic commercial formula with this wholesome, real breast milk substitute (though NOTHING can truly replace it, but if you don't have it...).  Now she's been on it fully for over 3 weeks and she is thriving, growing, seems to love it.  I love that it is so full of healthy fats.  I make it up daily now, I gave the ingredients a shelf in my kitchen (except for the ingreds that are in the fridge), and I can whip it up in 15 minutes flat now, no need to look at the recipe any more because I have it memorized.  I take everything out and do my "mise en place" on the counter, and put each item away as I use it.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2010/09/video-homemade-milk-based-baby-formula/

I ended up taking out the nutritional yeast which greatly improved baby's digestion, and substituted 1/4 adult dose of liquid B complex.  Also, what prevents constipation is to add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp either organic blackstrap molasses OR grade B maple syrup from a good farm (not generic or store brand) to baby's 4 oz bottles.  She hated the molasses and I also read that there is a teeny chance of botulism from it as from raw honey, but the maple syrup is heated enough to prevent botulism, so she gets 1/2 tsp in each bottle and now poops 1-2x daily, and it's wetter than before.  Her poops have become more like breast milk poops lately.  I guess she finally is getting fully adjusted in her digestive tract.  She's 9 weeks old.

Anyway, breast is best, but commercial formula is SUCKY!  The organic brand I used, which is identical (the SAME actually) as Costco's organic, Earth's Best, and the Vermont something one, was filled with corn syrup, soy, and msg.  They all are.  And even if you can afford banked breast milk, it is pasturized (heated) as well as you have NO IDEA what the donor was eating.  McDonalds?  Wheat?  GMO crap? 

I wanted to post this so that people know that in desperation there is a Next Best.  Since she was already digesting the commercial cow's milk formula pretty well, we decided to go with the raw cow's milk formula.  All Sprouts stores carry Organic Pastures raw milk, and is it ever fresh!!  I make the whey from it, and it takes forever to sour it on the counter, even on hot days, because it is so fresh!  But they have a goat's milk formula too for those who can't take cow's, as well as a fully nondairy one from meat sources.  Seems weird but babies thrive on that one too, especially if they can't tolerate any dairy at all. 

I consider commercial formula to be "packaged junk food."  It was killing this paleo organic family to feed our newborn that stuff.  There IS an alternative.  (Traveling will be hard, but we won't do that much of it her first year.)  Hugs to everyone out there searching for a substitute when you can't breast feed.

07:20 PM Liked: 35
#10 of 13
10-16-2011 | Posts: 309

While I am glad that you found something that works for your baby and your family, commercial formula is NOT crap.  It keeps babies alive and fed when their mom's can't nurse, are dealing with low supply, or are adopted or any other number of things. 

Megan73's Avatar Megan73
07:22 AM Liked: 82
#11 of 13
10-17-2011 | Posts: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlittlefish View Post

While I am glad that you found something that works for your baby and your family, commercial formula is NOT crap.  It keeps babies alive and fed when their mom's can't nurse, are dealing with low supply, or are adopted or any other number of things. 

I totally agree. I didn't like having to supplement with commercial formula but I knew that it is safe and nutritionally adequate. There's no way to be sure of that with untested, unregulated recipes and the many more opportunities for cross contamination in the home kitchen.
dollyanna's Avatar dollyanna
09:17 AM Liked: 11
#12 of 13
10-17-2011 | Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

I totally agree. I didn't like having to supplement with commercial formula but I knew that it is safe and nutritionally adequate. There's no way to be sure of that with untested, unregulated recipes and the many more opportunities for cross contamination in the home kitchen.

+1

My DD did well on Bright Beginnings Organic & Earth's Best.  Baby's Only made her very constipated.

Good luck!

11:11 AM Liked: 13
#13 of 13
10-19-2011 | Posts: 89

OK, sorry, I should not have called commercial formula "crap" because babies do well on it, but what I meant is that to the clean foods, organic, paleo diet my family eats, to US, the ingredients in formula were what we call crap.  It was uncomfortable feeding it to my baby even though she grew and digested it fine.  I didn't like it as a whole source of her nutrition.

We are not standard American diet fans.

Also, it is completely possible to keep your spoons, cups, pans, bottles as clean as anything in a formula factory if not more so, because you are personally motivated by your passion for your individual child, far more than janitors and workers in the factory.  I trust a loving parent to make up the WAP formula cleanly and properly.

But I do apologize for insulting commercial formula and sticking my bias in.  Sorry!

Reply Subscribe Breastfeeding Challenges