Mothering Forum banner

Slow to grow baby question

621 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  foreverinbluejeans 
#1 ·
I am posting for my best friend....she is nursing her fifth child and has nursed all of her others until they were at least 14 months old, so she's not new to this. However, her fifth child, a boy, isn't gaining weight appropriately and she is concerned. Her pedi is pushing her to supplement with formula, but she is resistant because she wants to up her milk supply, etc. At his 5 month check up he weighed 11 lbs and at birth weighed 8 lbs. She has been trying to nurse more over the past week, but he has only gained 2 1/2 oz.

Thoughts? Experiences with this? She is stressed out about and very concerned that something is wrong. I question the pediatrician just blowing it off to supply issues and telling her supplement because if there is an actual problem, that wouldn't resolve it. Any ideas on what she should do next (other than find another pedi, which she is in the process of right now)? Thanks!

#3 ·
That isn't enough weight gain. Encourage her to see a lactation consultant. Breastfed babies should gain at least 4 ounces a week (a pound a month). Breastfeeding issues need to be ruled out. Babies need enough food during the first year for brain growth and development.

Her baby could have a medical condition that is a contributing factor. Our family has a genetic immune deficiency disease and slow weight gain (FTT) in infancy is a warning sign of immune deficiency diseases. Here is a link about warning signs for immune deficiency diseases.

http://www.info4pi.org/aboutPI/index.cfm?section=aboutPI&content=warningsigns

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.