1 day old baby won't nurse - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my 5th baby, I've nursed all of them and have never had this problem. Labor and birth went normally at home, she didn't nurse for a couple hours after birth (although I did offer). Then she nursed for maybe 20 mins. All normal for me. Then we went to sleep and she slept for several hours. All the next day she mostly slept, I would offer the breast and she just wasn't interested. So now she is 36 hours old and has nursed 3 times total. Not since 4 this morning has she nursed (that was 10 hours ago). She has been crying all day (and last night for a couple hours before she finally nursed for a short time).

Any ideas? She is healthy, no mouth issues. I am a pretty calm, confident mom, I don't eat spicy food...Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 03:47 PM

I would have to call my midwife.  Did you use one or did you do a UC?  What about putting in a call to your ped, if you have one, or a family doc?  Congrats on the new baby!  I would probably try taking her clothes off to wake her up, she sounds really sleepy.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 09-07-2011, 04:31 PM

nak

for mine i had to strip him to his diaper and "wash" him with a cold wash cloth to nurse. He was fine after my milk came in, but lost a pound in the first 3 days. So sleepy.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:01 PM

I too had to strip my middle babe and bring out the wet wash cloth, play with her feet and ears, massage her jaw..all of it, but i think definately important to try to get your babe to nurse every couple of hours. Might be worth putting in a call to a trusted healthcare professional. U might at least want a weight check..
Old 09-08-2011, 07:34 AM

My first son was the same way. We'd strip him and rub him with a wet cloth to rouse him. With DS2, I hand expressed colostrum after feedings and spoonfed it to him. It really seemed to help avoid that vicious cycle of baby being too sleepy to nurse then not nursing making him sleepier.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, ladies! Her sleepiness doesn't seem to be the issue, especially since she cried most of the day yesterday. But early this morning she finally nursed. To get her to nurse I have to get my milk flowing myself then she will lap it up and eventually latch on. It is hard and she sometimes gets too frustrated and by the time the milk is coming she's crying too hard. But I'm so thankful she is finally nursing! I'm hoping it will just get easier as she catches on.

Thanks again!

User Tag List