Staph/bacterial infection mistaken for thrush? (X-posted from LWaB) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-08-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

(I'm a dummy and couldn't find the breastfeeding section when I originally posted this)

My thrush saga continues...

After months of home treatment, including 2 rounds of gentian violet and nystatin (for me and baby), I'm still having problems.  I finally called a midwife (the midwives who attended my birth are out of state) and over the phone she told me she doesn't think it's thrush and wants to see me.

In the meantime I've been trying to figure out what it could be, if not thrush.  It all started after a bleb/clogged duct, serving as the entry point for infection.  At first it looked like typical thrush - shiny, red, flaky, burning.  Now the shine and flakiness is gone, but my nipple (just one side) is still VERY red, moderately painful (though not burning, necessarily, just painful).  No cracks, just redness and if you look closely it's like there are a bunch of broken capillaries under the skin.  

My guess is that I had both thrush and some kind of bacterial infection, possibly staph, and I've gotten rid of the thrush with my home treatment but not the bacteria.  

Has anyone else had a bacterial infection in their nipples?  How did you treat it?  This has been going on for so long that it's really starting to affect my mental state.  I'm incredibly discouraged and have panicky moments where I think it's just never going to go away. 

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#2 of 3 Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did you every figure out what it was?

#3 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had an infection like this in both breasts. It was very hard to get rid of. I took antibiotics for months. It started with mastitis that didn't fully clear up. I thought it was thrush then I assumed latch problems, I was wrong. I also had some breast tenderness but only when they were examined.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page