Not thrush? Rash spread out from nipples to whole breasts and now belly. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-10-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thurs saw my doc and he just said to keep applying the anti fungal. Over a week ago, I had used it on my left nipple because baby had thrush and that nipple itched and that breast had the shooting pains deep in it. The topical anti fungal cleared up the inner pains immediately.

There was no breast to mouth contact from then on, baby bottle fed with my meager pumped milk, as well as formula supp.

At that point I was trying to solve the nipple's surface itch, and I threw several treatments at it, including: cj's yeast butter, earth mama's natural nipple butter, grapefruit seed extract, both diluted and straight up, vinegar, diluted. Nothing seemed to help so I tried no lotions or treatments for about 36 hrs before I saw my doc.

By the time I saw the doc on Thurs, the rash was over the entire left breast, red, lacy, tiny dots, and deadly itchy. It had also spread to the cleavage side of the right breast (where it touched the left one) too. I used only the topical anti fungal for the next 24 hours, but the rash spread to the other breast completely. And I have giant dddd boobs so this is a huge surface area!

I called the LC who said this no longer sounds like yeast. Called the doc but by then they were closed. He said I needed to be seen, but since it was 5pm on friday, I needed to go to the ER. I won't because I will be triaged dead last, and will be sitting in the waiting room for minimum 7 hours. With all the sickies, and I have newborn! So I have to wait til Monday.

The rash this morning is spreading to my upper chest and all over my stomach. What could this be? Could it be post Partum pupps? Any other ideas? It did start with itchy nipples. The nipples are still very sensitive, something between itch and pain. But now my whole front is covered with an itchy red lacy rash.

Some short relief from benedryl cream.

Help?

Oh, and my milk supply is still, at 4 wks pp, only 1 oz a pump, 7x in the 24. greensad.gif

mom to three sons and one new daughter born in August 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

When I look online I find lots of women with terrible pp rashes. No one seems to know what it is.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Maternal--Child/Itchy-postpartum-rash--anyone/show/169593

mom to three sons and one new daughter born in August 2011
#3 of 4 Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 AM

Do you have any other symptoms?  sore throat or anything like that - it doesn't sound anything like thrush to me, so maybe trouble shooting something else would do the trick.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#4 of 4 Old 09-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Is the itching more intense at let-down?  Occasionally hives can be linked to breastfeeding, but what you describe doesn't really sound like hives.  I hope you get it figured out soon!  Please let us know how you get on. xx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page