Yellow Discharge while Breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, I was hoping someone may have some experience/answers for what I'm dealing with:

DS2 was born in February (he's seven months old) and has been nursed exclusively.  Since he's been a couple months old I've had on and off yellowish possibly brownish discharge that is sort of mucousy, maybe sort of watery sometimes.  No itching or anything just the discharge, which gets annoying.  Also, intercourse is very very painful.  I've seen three doctors about this and have NO answers.  All tests keep coming back normal, but all of the doctors say that I look very red inside and confirm that the yellow discharge is abundant and pretty odd.  One Dr. thought it could be BV and we tried two different types of antibiotics, but it came right back both times.  I don't know what to do.  I've tried switching soaps on the thought it could be an allergy.  At one point I quit taking my fish oil and the discharge stopped within 1-2 days, but then after intercourse a couple of weeks later it is back again.

My question is this:

Has anyone experienced something similar to this that later just cleared up on its own after quitting breastfeeding???  Is it just the breastfeeding and the hormones that is possibly throwing me all off?  I know things can be dry while breastfeeding, but I breastfed my first, too, and the dryness was not even comparable to the pain I currently experience.  The discharge is totally unlike anything I've ever had before as well, but I know different kids can be different.  Anyone have any advice??? TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Has anyone had multiple kids and the discharge was always the same w/ each breastfeeding baby?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM

I'm sorry! That sounds really frustrating! I wouldn't think it was related to breastfeeding.  Especially since your doc is saying that you're red and inflamed inside and the antibiotics did work at least temporarily, it does sound like an infection of some sort.  Can you get a second opinion? 

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I really thought it was an infection, too.  The weird thing is that all three doctors tested for BV.  Only the second one (who looked at it herself under a microscope) said there was anything and she treated it twice with two diff. antibiotics.  Both times the discharge was back within the week, which is pretty fast for something to come back, I'd think.  I have the feeling that maybe she didn't see what she thought she did since both of the other docs sent theirs to labs and they both came back normal.  The yeast has always been negative.  One doc tested for a couple of STD's (which she agreed seemed almost impossible for me to have since DH and I do not have histories with other people) and everything came back normal.  All of the three doctors I've seen have basically said they are stumped about it.  The last doc said that he could prescribe four months (!) straight of a BV treating antibiotic to see if that helps but I am so hesitant to try that if I am not even clearly testing positive for this.  I guess I don't know if seeing another doctor sounds to me like a good idea.  Would a naturopath or some other type of doctor be worth a shot?

User Tag List