Can't wean off nipple shield - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been using a nipple shield since day 1 because of latch on problems (Medela contact silicone). My son had a tongue tie that was corrected, and my nipples are almost flat. They stick out a tiny bit like a half pea, and when pinched are about the size of a pea. 

At 3 weeks, I felt he was old enough to try without it so I was more persistent when offering my nipple. He did latch on, not well I think, once he suckled for a little while, swallowed once or twice and then pushed off crying. Since then he has been getting more and more frustrated when I try to get him latched on my nipple.

Sadly my nipples did not get bigger with the use of a shield or with pumping.

Sometimes he does not even try to suck at all, sometimes he moves his lips over it in search for a real "nipple" and glides right over that tiny pea like nipple. If I am lucky he will suck a bit, but not strongly at all. I tried the breast sandwich, getting all of the areola in his mouth but nothing works.

Lactation consultants have not done more than shove the nipple in his face to the point where he is so frustrated he starts hating my breasts all together :(

I don't know what to do any more, I want to breastfeed long term and I am afraid a shield will mess with my milk supply.

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM

I had a similar situation--once I really understood that my nipple size wasn't really an issue things got better.  As you know, that babe should be latching onto your areola, not nipple.  I found it helpful to see videos on Dr Newman's website.  Just keep at it.  Take a break from offering to nurse without the shield once in awhile, so every feeding isn't stressful.  It will work out...just takes time and loving consistency.  

Living in Alaska with my hubby and our ray of sunshine, born August 2010.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 AM

I'd be concerned about your supply, too. Is your LO gaining well with the shield? My LC told me that if I was going to use the shield I had to pump after feeds because it reduces milk transfer.
Have you tried taking off the shield mid-feed when your babe is less hungry or trying to latch him without when he's very sleepy?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabum View Post

I had a similar situation--once I really understood that my nipple size wasn't really an issue things got better.  As you know, that babe should be latching onto your areola, not nipple.  I found it helpful to see videos on Dr Newman's website.  Just keep at it.  Take a break from offering to nurse without the shield once in awhile, so every feeding isn't stressful.  It will work out...just takes time and loving consistency.  

Thank you I will see if the videos help me. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

I'd be concerned about your supply, too. Is your LO gaining well with the shield? My LC told me that if I was going to use the shield I had to pump after feeds because it reduces milk transfer.
Have you tried taking off the shield mid-feed when your babe is less hungry or trying to latch him without when he's very sleepy?

He is gaining 1lbs a week, so very good according to the doctor.

I have tried wo the shield before, during and late into feedings but it does not matter. He seems to expect a huge nipple and does not understand that my nipple and areola are something to feed on.

My flow has been slow lately so I started fenugreek, but that gave me some sort of oversupply, I am not sure if I am low or my baby just really really likes a very fast flow. 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

Just wanted to update that we are off the nipple shield. At first it was pretty hopeless but I tried taking him off mid feeding and when the flow was good, so once he noticed he got a lot of milk he became interested. And now he prefers it without the shield, at first I was working on my latch using the shield sometimes and sometimes my nipples but eventually he got better and could latch without the shield, now he even refuses it when i just want to use it to draw the nipple out for a few sucks.

I also watched the videos on Dr. Newmans site and I noticed his drinking was not good and he fussed just like the baby complaining about a slow flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabum View Post

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 PM

congrats on getting off the shield!  I just wanted to tell you what others have said, that nipple size doesn't matter - i am also in the pea size nipple club (though they are wider than peas now, they don't stick out any further. I was lucky in that with my first baby i had no idea my nipples were on the flat side and that actually helped me.. one less thing to worry about ;)

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 10-20-2011, 01:01 AM

congrats on getting off the shield :)

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome

User Tag List