Which bottle is best to avoid nipple confusion? Please help! :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-01-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, I have to get a root canal and some fillings done, I `have no choice but to pump and store for DH to feed the baby. I did this with my first thinking it was oK but she completely rejected my breast and would not latch on.

Any advice which bottle is best to avoid nipple confusion? Please help! :(

Will my baby reject the breast if I gave him a bottle for a few hours 1-2 times a week?

#2 of 5 Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 AM

From what I've read, the issue isn't nipple confusion it's flow preference - ie babies come to prefer the fast, effortless flow of the bottle. To prevent that, the idea is to use the slowest-flowing newborn nipple possible and used paced bottle feeding. There's a great handout on kellymom.com on bottle feeding the breastfed baby.
If you're nervous about using bottles, you could also try cup, syringe or finger feeding depending on the age of your baby. We've had good luck cup feeding a newborn with a tiny medicine cup or shot glass.
Good luck, mama. I know how devastating it is to have your LO refuse your breast.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 5 Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 AM

I second the Kellymom recommendation. We used a Medela bottle with a slow flow nipple on the advice of my LC. No nipple confusion happened and my son remains exclusively breastfed.
#4 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 07:17 PM

I've noticed narrow mouth (never used wide mouth) NUK nipples don't change the latch as much as some other bottle nipples...

#5 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 PM

i have tried medela and breast flow bottles with my girl.  she prefered the breast flow.  no problem going back to nursing.  but her favorite is the nuby sippy cups.  i have a strong let down so she likes fast flow.  so you kind of need to know your flow and how quickly she nurses.  you say you need to pump because of root canal....is that because of medicine?  a lot of doctors/dentists will tell you dont nurse on this or that when actually it is okay.  i would contact a lactation consultant or le leache leader and have them look in the medicine book to see it its true or not. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page