SNS/Lact-Aid Latch Issues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm dealing with low milk supply and am wanting to both keep baby at the breast for feedings while working on building my supply as much as possible. I have been using an SNS and have ordered a Lact-Aid, but am having issues with getting my baby, 2 weeks old, to latch well with the tube in her mouth. I've noticed that since I've started using the SNS, her latch has gotten lazier and she tends to sit and wait for the liquid to start dripping at the beginning of a feeding, rather than actively trying to facilitate a let down with sucking. I started by trying to get her to nurse without the tube in first, but she gets mad because the reward isn't immediate. I have noticed my supply is going down because of this! Any tips from you experienced mamas?
#2 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM

Hmm. I'm not sure what to suggest because I always nursed "bare" before adding the supplementer. That said, if the SNS is dripping, I think you may have it too high. It is gravity fed - which is just one reason by the suction-fed Lact-Aid is MILES better - so you need to get it at the right height. Could you start with the supplementer, pinch off when she starts sucking actively then restart when she peters out?
The Lact-Aid should help with this problem (although I'd strongly urge you to buy more than one unit!).
You mentioned it's hurting your supply - are you pumping after feeds?
Good luck boosting your supply, mama. I always had to supplement DS1 but after a bit of a rough start - including supplementing with the Lact-Aid, domperidone and pumping - I've been able to EBF DS2.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice. I think it is awesome that you are exclusively breastfeeding your second baby!! I SO hope I will be able to get to that point, or even to a point where things seem manageable for me this time. I was so scared when DD2 wasn't gaining that I think I started over-supplementing too soon. She has been gaining about 2.5 oz. / day for the last 3-4 days, so I think I'll try to reduce the supplement and make her suck longer at the "bare" breast. The frustrating thing is that she was content for some feedings last week without supplement, but now my supply seems to have dropped. I have been pumping after several feedings each day, mostly not getting much, but will try to do this more.
#4 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 PM

How are you getting along? Has your Lact-Aid arrived?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#5 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Do you think your baby's latch issues are causing your supply issues?  That was the case with my DS.  What worked for us was a) ditching the SNS completely.  Personally, it just did not work for us because I did not get enough stimulation when we used it as he was lazy with it and b) nursing, then when DS had tuckered out on nursing (usually 10 minutes each breast...he was preterm so latch and exhaustion issues were magnified a bit) I would give him a small bottle of pumped milk, then would wait an hour after the nursing session, and pump for 10 or 15 minutes each side.  Then I'd save that milk for after the next nursing session.  We would nurse, bottle, pump about 8 times in 24 hours.  The first month was a little rough.  Then he magically "got it" and we totally ditched the pump and I never used that thing again (hated it after having to use it so much).  But, it worked.  By three months adjusted age, he weighed 16 pounds (born at 6lbs) and was EBF.  We didn't use bottles after that month and actually when I tried to start using them around 3-4 months so I could go out to dinner or whatever, he wouldn't take them, so the bottles definitely didn't screw up his nursing at all.  Good luck mama.  You can do it. 

#6 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Megan - I did get my LactAids in the mail and I like them better than the SNS, for sure.  I'm still having issues with her latch - it's ok, but just not the same strong, vacuum type latch she had before we introduced the devices.  I'm working on having her nurse 'bare' more often, and though she's resistant, it's getting better.  I'm also pumping more, so I'm thinking that is helping build supply, though not as fast or drastically as I'd like!

APToddlerMama - I do think the current latch issues are related to a slight supply drop, but I have a history of low supply, so that's not the whole issue, just a part.  I'm unsure exactly what causes my supply problems, thinking it's something hormonal at this point, though there are other issues related to the SNS/latch that are compounding our problems.  I'm still working at it and hope to keep building a supply, even if it can't be a full one. 

Thanks for everyone's feedback/suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page