Now I have a milk blister...please tell me bfing gets better - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 11 weeks now and since the beginning I've problem after problem with breastfeeding.  He had a poor latch at first which I believe was exacerbated by by advice form the nurses, that left me with bleeding, sore nipples and low supply.  I developed thrush that wouldn't go away, then mastitis.  I was working with a lactation consultant who got things under control and helped me build up my supply.  He's been latching really well on my right side but the left side has improved but is still not great and that's the side I have the milk blister on and it hurts so bad.  I finally thought I was going to move into a place where I enjoyed bfing and now I'm starting to feel so defeated, like I'm just not meant for this.  Is it possible there is still something else going on like tongue tie that could just affect one side?  Is the milk blister related to the bad latch?  Why is his latch fine on one side but not the other?  I'm really frustrated and need some advice, support please.

#2 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 PM

aww! it DOES get easier - a milk blister is enough to knock anyone down.. i had one in march - after BFing for 5 years! (3 kids) it made me want to die. (i also had mastitis right before that, and the milk blister was easily just as bad)  - for me, there is something about my left side that causes it to get more trauma - with every kid, every rough patch - my left side has had worse damage - when i have hormonal nipple soreness (from pregnancy or ovulation or something) my left side hurts worse.. its just weird.  - i don't know why .. if its about me being right handed/how i hold the baby, or about my left breast/ nipple being different.  once you have extra scar tissue it can make you more likely to get things like milk blisters and mastitis and everything.. (don't let that freak you out, more likely doesn't mean it will happen al the time- it just means that for me when it does happen, for me, it always happenes to that side)  

that being said - i would take baby to a pediatric chiropractor - sometimes birth trauma or something going on with baby can make nursing more difficult on one side.. it worth ruling that out imo .

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#3 of 6 Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 AM

My DH's coworker had a baby that had trouble latching on one side and with one chiro adjustment as a newborn he went to latching perfectly... Also, I painfully nursed DS1 for what seemed like forever, we saw all sorts of LC's and LLL leaders and doctors and midwives...I got treated and tested for various breast infections...nobody could figure out a cause - then one day (and I swear it really did happen that quickly) I just noticed the pain was gone...the only thing I can think of is that his mouth must have grown.

#4 of 6 Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Milk blisters are often related to thrush; it could be that you've got a stubborn case of it, and need to continue treatment.

I have recurring milk blisters on one side. They sure do hurt. I've found that once the blister breaks, the pain improves pretty rapidly. You can help it along with a clean fingernail or sterilized needle.

Best of luck to you!

Skeptical scribbling dorkophile.
#5 of 6 Old 10-11-2011, 03:09 AM

If the pain is occurring just on one side I would thoroughly recommend that you try to see an Oesteopath, even the slightest disalignement from birth can give issues which are more difficult to resolve, tt is highly unlikely if it is happening just on the one side, and I would work really hard on good positioning, either have a look at this www.biologicialnurturing.com or a few of Dr Jack Newman's videos of good drinking really good drinking etc he's at www.nbci.ca click on information and videos, make sure that baby is turned completely in against you i.e. tummy to tummy, sometimes at this sort of age we forget to pay attention to things like the hips that face the ceiling and aren't turned in towards us and simple things like that can make life difficult.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#6 of 6 Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

The blister is gone now but it is still sore.  The left side has always been painful but it has been tolerable for the past few weeks.  Now that I've had the milk blister it's worse again.  My left nipple is always red.  Could I only get thrush on one side?

I've been seeing a chiro that does cranio sacral on him.  He was acynclitic during the birth and never came down during labor so he had a lot of neck and jaw issues.  His latch is way better since we've been seeing her and I guess I thought that this was as good as it could get.  But if I'm going to continue to have problems I guess I need to get some more treatment. 

I did go to a LLL meeting last week and the leader thought maybe I wasn't getting a deep enough latch and because my nipples are different shapes and the right one protudes more it probably doesn't bother me on that side.  But I don't know how to make him latch deeper I've tried everything.  So far today I've looked at just about every video of Jack Newman's and read the handouts and I'm not feeling like he's latching any deeper.  Is there some trick that I'm just not getting?

If his latch is this off at 3 months is it even possible to correct at this point or am I just doomed to have a crappy latch left side?  Should I just pump on that side and nurse on the right?  Should I keep trying to get the latch right?  Should I see another LC?

I'm so frustrated.  This is my first baby and it never occured to me that breastfeeding would be so challenging.  I wish I'd prepared for this before having him. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page