Milk supply and Supplementing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-11-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nevertheless, I am feeling down for having to supplement my baby with formula.  I nursed DD#1 until she was 2, but with DD#2, my milk supply started dropping around 2 months.  She went from 80%tile at birth in weight, down to 50%tile at 3m, then 30%tile at 4m, even though I started supplementing at 3m.  I have been BF'ing first as much as I can, then offering the rest in formula.  I just started taking Dom, 10 mg. 3x's a day, but today upped it to 40 mg/day.  My supply is coming back some, but having to suppliment 60% of the time.  

I was wondering what a good formula would be?  Right now, my baby is taking Vons Organics brand formula.  I also heard a lot about DHA/ARA and how processing it could be bad.

What formulas do you recommend right now that are organic, until I try to establish BF?

Ann, age 47.  TTC since 2006 using TCM.  DD#1, born at home 2007; and DD#2, born at home 2011.  Selective vaccination.   
#2 of 6 Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollicups View Post

Nevertheless, I am feeling down for having to supplement my baby with formula.  I nursed DD#1 until she was 2, but with DD#2, my milk supply started dropping around 2 months.  She went from 80%tile at birth in weight, down to 50%tile at 3m, then 30%tile at 4m, even though I started supplementing at 3m.  I have been BF'ing first as much as I can, then offering the rest in formula.  I just started taking Dom, 10 mg. 3x's a day, but today upped it to 40 mg/day.  My supply is coming back some, but having to suppliment 60% of the time.  

I was wondering what a good formula would be?  Right now, my baby is taking Vons Organics brand formula.  I also heard a lot about DHA/ARA and how processing it could be bad.

What formulas do you recommend right now that are organic, until I try to establish BF?

NAK
Sorry - no advice on formula. When I needed to supplement I just used a store brand - this was before DHA/ARA was common - because I didn't want my money to go to marketing.
Two quick thoughts. One, the typical STARTING dose for dom is three times what you're taking - 90 mg a day - and some women take 160 mg a day. I'd start pumping if you're not already to boost your supply even more.
Unless your doctor is using the WHO charts for BF babies, most breastfed babies gain fast in the first few months then seem to "drop off" the charts around three months. Here's a link:
http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/growthcharts.html
Supplementing can reduce your supply, whether it was truly low or not to begin with but you may well be able to bring it back up with dom, pumping and lots of nursing!
Good luck.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 6 Old 10-12-2011, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I am sorry I cannot answer your question but, as mentioned above, here is a link to the WHO growth chart from the CDC website. Many doctors are using outdated growth charts.

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/who/GrChrt_Girls_24LW_9210.pdf

More info:

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/who_charts.htm

#4 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM

I supplement with a homemade goats milk formula. I do not trust store bought formulas. There are many great recipies for homemade formula that is way heathier than the store stuff. just google it.

2 Perfect  uc.jpg births!.    h20homebirth.gif.signcirc1.gifsaynovax.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
3 babes in heaven angel.gif, 3 boys on earth. Planning UC #3 !!! Jesus is my Lord praying.gif

#5 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

She is falling from the WHO charts, too, and besides her crying was because she was hungry, but when I'd put her in the sling, she'd go to asleep, so we thought it was because she was tired!  

Anyway, the goat's milk formula sounds interesting, but I thought they weren't supposed to have milk until 1 year -- go figure.

I think the dom has been working at only 40 mg/day, but I'm going to up it up more.  I want to get off formula for good.  

Ann, age 47.  TTC since 2006 using TCM.  DD#1, born at home 2007; and DD#2, born at home 2011.  Selective vaccination.   
#6 of 6 Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 PM

How often do u end up nursing on average? The problem with adding the formula is that u don't nurse extra often to signal to your body to rev it up. I weaned my formula supplements down and nursed every hour and a half even if he didn't demand it, and was able to get rid of the formula (with the help of 80mg of dom)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page