Slow Weight gain and in need of major support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Also posted in Breastfeeding forum:

I think I'm going crazy but hopefully I can get some responses that will take me down a notch or two.  I just came from my pediatrician with my 6.5 month old.  She isn't concerned about his weight but would like to see him gain more.  He is currently in the 10th percentile and was previously in the 50th back at birthweight.  So here's a brief rundown of his weight per month:

Birthweight -  7 lbs 2 oz.

1 week old - 7 lbs 4.5 oz.

1 month - 10lbs 4.5 oz.

2 months - 11lbs 140z.

4  months - 13 lbs 7.5oz.

4 1/2 months - 14 lbs. 3.5 oz.

5 1/2 months - 14 lbs 10 oz.

6 1/2 months - 15 lbs 0.5 oz.

So...he is gaining but not a ton.  We (my pedi and I) are both aware that babies stop gaining as steadily at this point but she said up to 6 months even - it wasn't a lot.  She said she is not alarmed but would like to see an increase and if he went below the 10th percentile, she would be concerned.  I cried to her as I have been so paranoid about my supply.  I wasn't always worried about my supply - it seems after the summer was over that I thought I was making less milk.  I started with the solids mid-September and he did great.  He was eating oatmeal and rice and I moved on to carrots.  Then, I started taking Fenugreek and I was feeding him oatmeal and he was pooping a ton one particular day - like 5 times in a day (his usual was once a day or every other day for poop).  So, I decided to go back to rice for a couple days.  I did just that and then he just stopped pooping for about 5 days.  I stimulated him with the thermometer and he went.  The he went another 5 days with no poop.  I gave him pear juice (reluctantly but I just wanted him to poop) and he went.  I have been giving him pear juice almost every day to no avail - no poop.  I KNOW breastfed babies can go up to 10 days with no poop but it still makes me slightly upset.  

So - today, I go to pediatrician for his 6 month well visit and he weighed in at 15 lbs and 0.5 oz.  A half pound increase in a month, which is good but just not at the percentile or weight we thought he could be.  She then asked about my supply when I pump, what do I get.  I told her that pumping can not be any indication of supply and she said this is true but if you at least get 2 oz, I would know that minimum he is getting about 4 oz or so....especially if I were to pump first thing in the morning.  I told her I'm lucky if I get an ounce sometimes.  I was sweating at this point...flustered and broke down into tears as this is totally feeding into my worst mothering fear...not having enough milk (I nursed my first son until 3 1/2 with no issues other than the occasional plugged duct).  I told her through tears that I just don't want to give him formula.  She said I'm not going to tell you that.  I said "ever?"  She said no, just increase your feeds and maybe go back to giving him solids.  Maybe not cereal but at least fruits and veggies as she is concerned he is just not getting enough from me and therefore that is why he is not pooping.  I do feed him almost every two hours or so it seems - even overnight.  

I'm now eating lactation cookies for the 4th day and went back to taking fenugreek (I stopped the fenugreek in a paranoia that it caused him not to poop).  I'm going to stop drinking the tea now that I'm back to taking fenugreek as to not overdo it on the fenugreek.  Increasing my water intake and trying to relax.  Also, I did start to give him "lunch" today and gave him some pears.  I know he doesn't NEED solids right now but just want to see him poop.  Hopefully, my milk will increase SOON with my regimen with the cookies and the fenugreek and water but until then...I'm just plain sad and feel like I am failing.

mecry.gif

Mama to two wonderful boys DS1 (May 2007) and DS2 (March 2011)      

bfinfant.gif    femalesling.GIF  familybed2.giflactivist.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 AM

You are NOT failing. 

http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html 

This is a great article called, "Look at the Baby, Not the Scale"

From your description, it sounds to me like your doctor is getting you far too worked up about weight gain.  Breastfed babies typically gain quickly in the first half of the year and then settle into their natural percentile by age one.  What  set of charts is your doctor using?  The charts were revised some years ago, using data that included a more diverse population of both breast-fed and formula fed babies, but I think some doctors may still be using the old charts (which were based on a group of Euro-American formula fed babies from the 1920's).  Also it seems to me that your baby is being weighed too often.  I remember with one of my children (who is now a healthy, but petite, teenager), she didn't gain at all between 12 and 15 months, but then had a spurt at 17 months or so.  I don't think any of my kids were 15 pounds until they were at least 9 months old.

Also always nurse BEFORE offering solid foods as at this stage, mother's milk is still the more nutritionally complete choice.

Jeanne, mom to 3 DD, 19, 16, 14 and DS 11

Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 AM

Try more milk plus at www.motherlove.com. I had low supply w/ dd1, and would nure her for hours, literally. She was low weight gain, then failure to thrive, as she was not gaining at all. at 4 month, but nursing all the time. It definately helped me lots, i took the capsules. you can alo buy them at WFM, or you could a couple of years ago. Good luck xx

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

User Tag List