How old must DS be to bottlefeed for 4 days while I take a medication that isn't compatible with breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi all -

I have giardia, UGH. The medication recommended to treat it is NOT compatible with breastfeeding, and would require that I stop breastfeeding for 4 days while I take it (1 dose on the first day, and then 3 days for it to leave my system.) DS is almost 7 weeks and he's a great eater, but I would rather suffer with the giardia before seriously disrupting the breastfeeding relationship...any idea when I could do this and have him go back to the breast without any problem after those 4 days on the bottle? 

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have on this! :-)

Mama2ChicknLil likes this.

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#2 of 7 Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I'd do it now. There is no guarantee that this will not disrupt your breastfeeding relationship, but that will be true until he stops nursing.

This is a case where you have to take care of yourself first in rder to protect your baby.  Giardia is transmissable person to person (which means that your baby could get it from you), and can cause severe dehydration which will very likely adversely affect your milk supply.  Additionally, dehydration is no joke in adults and can be even *more* serious in small babies.  Fever is also an issue with giardia, and I wouldn't want to deal with that in the fourth trimester - most pediatricians are pretty calm about fever in older babies, but the recommendation is that if your baby is under 12 weeks and has a fever aver 100.4, you should call the ped, and possibly come into the emergency room, immediately.

homemademom likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can also check on the med with Hale's book or the InfantRisk hotline.  It may be okay depending on the age of your child.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 7 Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 PM

I'd call infantrisk and talk to them.

Here are some other sources of info too:

http://www.motherisk.org/prof/updatesDetail.jsp?content_id=328

http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/showthread.php?220-Flagyl&highlight=flagyl

#5 of 7 Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

thanks, everyone, for your responses! and PatioGardener - that's exactly what I was looking for. I had no clue about that infantrisk center - thanks so much for alerting me to it! 

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#6 of 7 Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 AM

i am a pharmacist. most medications say they are incompatible w/ breastfeeding but really are just fine! Medications in Mothers Milk is the best resource and most LLL groups have a copy.

#7 of 7 Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Not sure how you would feel about it, but during those 4 days, could you potentially use a finger feeder rather than a bottle to feed your baby?  They can be a bit tricky, but then baby wouldn't get a bottle and be less likely to disrupt that way...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page