Very gassy baby that won't burp-- what is causing this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-23-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My two-week old newborn has just developed awful gassiness over the last 3 days.

Usually during the day she is ok, but as soon as night hits, she gets really uncomfortable and will not sleep. She seems to need to be burped but no matter what position we try, she cannot get the gas up.

I've been reading like crazy, trying to figure out what to do. I'm cutting dairy out of my diet to see if that helps at all. I've also read a lot about overactive let-down and I am not sure if that is what I have or not. She  has a number of the signs over over active letdown, but the one thing I haven't noticed is any spraying of milk from my breasts. They do become engorged very quickly and will leak a ton if any pressure is placed on them.

Does anyone have any experience with their baby having similar symptoms? She was great up until 3 days ago. She was eating every 2 hours at night and then going right back to sleep...now we're both lucky if we get 2-3 hours of sleep at night :( She's so uncomfortable!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD was like that too for the first 2 months, I finally figured out that most of the time she just wanted to cluster feed, and her moodiness after feeding was just wanting to be back on the boobs. I don't know if maybe that's what's going on with your little one?

One burping method that has worked well for us was sitting DD upright on our lap and bouncing her gently while patting her back. Nothing else worked for us!

User Tag List