Biting and CLAMPING DOWN! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas, 

My 9mo DD nurses to sleep, and recently she has needed to hang on for a long time before she will let me unlatch her or unlatch herself. I don't mind this, and it has happened before when she is teething or otherwise needs her mommy more. 

However, now she has 8 teeth, and sometimes during this extended, sleepy latch time, she clamps down really hard and I almost can't get her off. I have to pry her mouth open, all the while her teeth are IN my nipple. It's really painful. I can feel her start to do this, and I try to gently do the Pantley Pull Off or something but she either jerks awake or fully clamps down and we start again. Other times she has a normal, relaxed mouth. I don't know what makes the difference. 

Anyone BTDT? Any advice, short of, don't nurse to sleep? (She will fall asleep in the Ergo, but it's quicker to nurse). 

TIA!

Pretty darn crunchy mama to Kiddo (2yo, DD), wife to Hubby, SAHM/aspiring writer/amateur sewist/lover of reading, traveling, music, natural parenting, unschooling, dogs, nature and more. Working on mindfulness and living in the present. Settled in Norway.

We familybed1.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFnamaste.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gifhomeschool.gifand goorganic.jpg...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 06:22 PM

My son did that twice, several months apart. I screamed; he cried. Both times he had teeth about to erupt. Not much help, just commiseration. Sorry. 

Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Mine also tends to do this when a tooth is about to push through. I just try to detach her if she shows any sign that she is about to clamp down. If she does wake up, I rock her for a minute or two before I let her latch back on. It seems to sort of "re-set" her so that she doesn't go right back to clamping down. Once or twice she's clamped down hard enough that I really thought she'd drawn blood, but so far, I've escaped without real injury.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. 

I think I will try the rocking to "reset", that is a good suggestion. Yesterday I headed it off without any clamping down, mostly because she had earlier reopened an old crack from before and I was so scared about how much it would hurt if she clamped down on that! 

Oh, teeth, how much fun for babies and mamas alike! ;)

Pretty darn crunchy mama to Kiddo (2yo, DD), wife to Hubby, SAHM/aspiring writer/amateur sewist/lover of reading, traveling, music, natural parenting, unschooling, dogs, nature and more. Working on mindfulness and living in the present. Settled in Norway.

We familybed1.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFnamaste.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gifhomeschool.gifand goorganic.jpg...

Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 AM

My son, who is 13 months now and has 6 teeth, has a similar issue. He just feels more "toothy" now- even his normal latch means I can feel an edge of tooth, and when I look at my nipple after, sometimes I can see a hint of tooth outline! I don't have any good suggestions, but I guess I've toughened up my nips, because it's not too bad! I used to use a nipple shield and I think that's my last ditch effort. I hope it doesn't go that far!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 PM

My almost 11 month old is doing this right now. His 4th tooth is about to erupt and he made me bleed tonight. :( I'm at my wit's end. There is absolutely no warning when he does it. He's nursing right along, great latch, everything is fine, and suddenly he just bites the heck out of me. I have no idea what to do. Neither of the other 2 ever bit. 

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

User Tag List