Newman's Nipple Cream - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

I'm an exclusive pumper, and mentioned to my OB that my nipples are so sore from pumping so much that I'm really uncomfortable, so she wrote me a prescription for the Newmans (also recommended to me by some folks here). 

But the fact sheet that came with it is a little scary - it says to call poison control if ingested! I know the instructions say to use a tiny amount after pumping/nursing and I will be wiping it off and cleaning my nipples before the next pumping session. It also says one of the side effects is a burning sensation. Meh. 

I've just used a little bit (after having it for five days and being afraid to use it) and I feel a little bit better. But what do you guys think about those side effects? I'd love to hear from those of you that have experience using it. I know it's got an antibacterial component in it as well - what can I really expect in terms of pain relief from it? 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 4 Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mama! I have no idea how this stuff works, but it does! I have been complaining about the pain I was in for weeks all over this site so forgive me for being repetitive...I had bloody gaping wounds on both nipples from being bitten by DS and a first week of poor latching and OS. I finally came across APNO around week 5, convinced my OB to write the rx, and within three days of using it after every feed (and never wiping it off first, despite what I was told by the pharmasist, as per Newmans websites instructions) there was new skin on the two smaller wounds. The IBCLC I saw told me it was fine to continue using it, and that in her 20 years of practice she had never seen any of the major side effects (including the skin thinning concern, which she said it's likely because there is so little steroid in the cream if mixed properly) and always kept a bottle handy when she was bfing for times when nipples got really sore. The only possible issue I can see is the ointment getting into the tubing off the pump, but when I went on nipple rest and was exclusively pumping for three days I kept using it and only had to wash it out of the cones.

I say use it!!!
Good luck...hope your nips feel better soon!!

Btw, check out Dr Jack Newman's website for better instructions/info

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Hahaha, it's okay - I've been complaining all over the site about my breastfeeding struggles too! I know we've been on a couple of the same threads about it. :-) 

I'm glad to hear it's worked for you. I almost feel bad complaining now - I haven't had open wounds!!! Big hugs to you for getting through that and continuing to nurse! It's no walk in the park, is it?

I've been using it after every pump since yesterday, and resisting the urge to wipe it off. I did check out Dr. Newman's website, and I feel better after reading his detailed explanation of each of the drug's components. I feel pretty comfortable that the amounts are small enough that they're not really going to get into the breast milk in a way that could cause harm to the baby. I almost hate those drug fact sheets though! Call poison control if it's ingested, yet it's prescribed to go on the nipples of nursing mothers! Go figure. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 4 Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh we all have our own special issues with bfing, I honestly do not know of I could be an exclusive pumper!!! You mamas amaze me...it takes so much more effort, and it's such a beautiful gift you are giving your baby. gaping wounds don't seem like that big a deal to me anymore but I'm still terrified of my pump smile.gif

good luck with the APNO, it really was like magic for me and now I'm just using pain old lanolin!! I truly never thought that would suffice!

You will be fine, heck you already are fine! Keep up the good work and I will keep your over pumped nipples in my thoughts smile.gif...where else can you say something like that without getting a giggle??

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page