Ductal thrush or clogged duct? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

About a week ago, I noticed some shooting pains deep in my right breast at odd times.  I thought nothing of it at the time, but a day or so later I noticed a sore/tender spot as well, sort of on the underside of my boob above where the band lies on my bra.  Figured it was a clogged duct and started immediately on poke root, heat, trying to drain that breast as much as possible.  Pointed DS's chin right at the tender spot.  I did hot showers, hot water beating on the boob, raked a comb over it to try to break up the duct, everything!  Heating pad before and after nursing, nursing on all fours so gravity pulls down the milk.  Ugh everything.  

So far nothing has changed.  Not for the better or worse.  I can't locate an actual lump in the breast either, it's just achey and tender.   No redness.  No sign of anything externally, it looks fine.  

I came across an old post on the web about ductal thrush -- sharp pains, deep soreness.  

My question is how do I know if it's ductal thrush if there are no symptoms of external thrush?  Would it be possible to treat naturally?  Thoughts?  Thanks!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 PM

I went on Diflucan for 10 days and it cleared up. I had no external symptoms other than nipple damage from nursing a tongue tied baby.

You could try eliminating all sugars, starches and grains, something like the paleo diet. 

I didn't have any side effects from the diflucan though, and my OB prescribed it.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 PM

It sounds like a clogged duct to me. I have had them chronically for the last year (since I had my daughter) In addition to all the remedies you are doing already, drink TONS of water. That seems to really flush it out. I also have done grated cold potato set on there for an hour or so til it dries up some (supposed to draw it out) and a lymph flush tea. A pot a day. I don't have the recipe on hand but it's got calendula, echinacea root, milky oat tops, nettle and more. If you really want the recipe, write back and I will hunt it down. Good luck. I know it is so painful.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 AM

Also curious about that ductal thrush thing. My last two times I got an infection it was accompanied by a white dot on my nipple that was extremely painful and kind of itchy. Wondering if that might be what it was.

User Tag List