Very low supply....11 month old not gaining - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-24-2011, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My 11 month old who has been exclusively nursing for a few months is not gaining any weight.

He is on solids and eats about 3-4 bottles of baby foods a day.  However, over the last 2 months, my breasts have stopped becoming firm and I can feel almost no milk coming in.  I used to be able to pump about 8-10 ounces every 4 hours but when I try now after 5 hours, I barely get an ounce.  Earlier, after 4 hours my breasts would be very engorged and form...not, they never get firm anymore.  My son seems hungry and is frustrated when he does not get enough.  

His dad and I tried supplementing with formula and whole milk but he refuses to drink either. We have been trying for a few weeks now with no luck. He cries and screams when we try. The number of wet diapers have gone down as well.

I am drinking water, eating oats to try and bring my supply up while we are trying to wean him off but nothing is working.   I always intended to breast feed for one year.  So I really would like to start weaning him off.    We tried diluting breast milk with formula etc. but nothing works.  He does not want any kind of bottle or sippy cup.    I feel like he is starving and I feel frustrated and helpless.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get him to take formula or whole milk.  

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Is there a particular reason you want to wean?
The only way to increase your supply is to nurse or pump more often with a double-electric pump to send your breasts the message to make more milk. Some of the usual culprits for decreased supply are nursing less often, hormonal birth control and a new pregnancy.
If your babe is refusing cow's milk or formula - I'm assuming he'll take BM in a bottle or cup? - you could keep offering or hold off on weaning and try again later.
You could also focus on nutrient-dense, high calorie solids instead of jarred foods. Most 11-month-olds don't need purees. At that age your little one should have the pincer grip to pick up and feed himself small cubes of cheese, soft cooked meat, hard boiled egg yolk, sweet potato fries, halved pasta shapes like rotini, chunks of avocado etc. He'll likely need help with spoon foods like oatmeal or full fat yogurt.
If you're interested in reading more about the benefits of nursing beyond the first year, there's some great info at www.kellymom.com

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 3 Old 11-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Hello, 

My son stopped gaining weight around 10 months or so and showed very limited interest in solids until he was about 15 months old. His weight literally stayed around 20 pounds for 5 months. He nursed tons, so my breasts always felt empty and on the rare occasion I needed to pump, nothing came out. I would just encourage you to continue to breast feed. Sometimes when babies are very active, they won't gain weight. 

Now, my little guy is nursing like normal, eating some solids, and gained 2.5 lb in the past month. Chubby baby does not always equal healthy  baby. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page