help ...my 9 month baby is anemic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-25-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

merry christmas to all. my baby is anemic. he got a 7.7 on hem. test. i breastfeed but clearly am not passing enough iron to him. the doctor want he to give him an iron supplement starting today and i am having a hard time coming to grips with this. 1ml is 150% and i am to give him 1ml twice a day...300%. he will have a stomach ache and be constipated. i do not want him to be anemic ahhhh...i considered floridix but it has honey in it. has anyone else been through this or have other suggestions to up his iron in a month so we can just conquer this issue though food( in a month). btw his prescription is liquid ironferrous sulfate 15mg

#2 of 14 Old 12-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How did you determine he was anemic?  Was it drawn blood or the finger prick test?

#3 of 14 Old 12-25-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

yes a blood study was done(blood drawn)

#4 of 14 Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

bump

#5 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 AM

From the reading I've done, my understanding is that anemia is not about breastfeeding - it's about baby's ability to store iron during pregnancy (early babies have lower stores) and if the cord was clamped soon after birth or allowed to pulse (delayed cord clamping helps to protect against anemia.)

Breastmilk has little iron in it, but what iron it does have is really really well absorbed when baby is exclusively breastfed. Once baby starts solids, iron rich foods and foods high in vitamin C are needed to maintain iron levels.

Kellymom has some great info about iron here: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html#lowiron

With a level as low as 7.7, I personally would use iron supplements for a short time to boost levels, while transitioning to an iron-rich, vitamin C rich diet for baby.

#6 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your comment. i do know most of what you told me. i have exhuasted my research. though i do believe i have passed very little iron through my breastmilk.....less than most. and because i was slightly anemic myself during pregnancy my sdid not get as much reserves...so to speak. i am going to use the supplements but worry about it upseting his stomach and the constipation.i know breasfeed babies have a harder time with the supplements partly because they are not bioavailable. i do have prune juice and will breastfeed all the time so he gets enough liquids.my goal is to up him..his iron in a month then strictly focus on food.he loves spinach and lentils.

thanks for you comment.rainbow1284.gif

#7 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 AM

You might consider feeding your babe some foods with heme iron - particularly meat - and like Patio said, boosting the absorption of the non-heme iron in foods like lentils and spinach by serving them with sources of vitamin C.
I found these links helpful:
http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile68d.stm
http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/vitamins/iron.html

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#8 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

well we don't eat red meat and he just decided he does not like chicken....bummer, im talking good local chicken. anyway spinach is high in vitamin c also but is not suppose to be given with supplements as calcium because it lwers the iron absorption. i am not introducing citrus fruits yet and will have to figure out which veggies are high in vitaminC.

#9 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 05:43 PM

do you think he would go for steamed broccoli? that is a vitamin c rich veggie you could offer alongside lentils.....    good luck, mama!

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#10 of 14 Old 12-26-2011, 07:01 PM

Also - pick up a cast iron frying pan - i was surprised to see they are pretty reasonably priced.  I saute spinach and chick peas in chicken stock all in the cast iron pan.   Also - JMTC ...but (and i say this with NO medical background whatsoever  whistling.gif )  why not try half the dosage of the supplement at first and see if he can tolerate that - then add a bit more ....but not enough so that he is in pain with a stomach ache or constipation - no one needs that!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#11 of 14 Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Sweet potato has iron and vitamin C all in one! :) Kiwi fruit is big on vitamin C, and so is red pepper (both are higher than oranges for vit C.) Figs and prunes also have some iron in them. As do shrimps if you eat seafood. Cow milk can cause micro-bleeding in the gut which can in turn cause anemia, so avoiding milk products for now may help too.

We (humans) absorb iron really well when are deficient, so your little one may surprise you and get his levels up really quickly!

#12 of 14 Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

oh i just hate it when updates are not given so here is mine.

after 30 days on iron and me supplementing every meal with iron enriched foods..last week my baby's doctor was doubtful that he could be taken off so soon. heme was tested and his iron was ans is 12.8. above average and we are off the iron. hooray!!!!!thanks ladies for the support.

PatioGardener likes this.
#13 of 14 Old 02-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Great news!!!thumb.gif

#14 of 14 Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 AM

Yay! biggrinbounce.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page