Pregnant Mom & trying to breastfeed 20-month old.....I need some help (or encouragement)! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 24 weeks pregnant and I'm not really producing much (if any) milk.  However, my 20-month old daughter is still eager to nurse when going down for her nap, at bedtime and sometimes during the night.  I desperately don't want to stop nursing her until she is ready to wean herself.  However, I am having (what I assume is) over-sensitivity issues.... it is like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I am only able to let her nurse for a few minutes on each side before I can't take it any more and have to make her stop.  I get upset at myself because I don't understand why I can't just put up with it until she falls asleep.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it because she is sucking differently now that there isn't really any milk or that I'm pregnant....or that she is just getting older?  Thank you for any comments or suggestions!!! 

#2 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 PM

First, congrats on your pregnancy!  How exciting.

Secondly... you are NOT alone.  Many women experience increased sensativity (from "hmmm, that's not too great" to "just shoot me dead") while pregnant. 

One thing that helped me was to stay really hydrated.  I wouldn't consider myself dehydrated but was reallly sensative to it while pregnant.

Another thing I did was practice my deep relaxation for during labor when I was finding nursing especially annoying.

Lastly, I did set limits.  I actually set more than I ended being comfortable with, but know that it is okay to say that something is just too much.

Good luck!

#3 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your post!  I will make sure to stay really hydrated from this point forward...and I can't wait to see if some deep relaxation will help!  I am so glad to hear that what I am experiencing is common. Just knowing someone else managed to survive this "time of sensitivity" gives me encouragement to keep on trying!  Just three more months and hopefully things will be back to normal! 

#4 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 01:45 PM

I second the "setting limits" that was my saving grace when I BF through pregnancy..my guy was still nursing like a newborn and I just couldn't do it. I will say right around 26-30 weeks it really started improving because my colostrum started to come in and DS1 didn't seem to suck as hard....then when my milk came in (the day after birth lol) he went crazy - just LOVED it! LOL!

#5 of 7 Old 01-30-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I apologize for taking so long to thank you for your post.  I have had to do just what you suggested....."set limits."  Luckily, she seems pretty content with everything.  Because I have almost no milk right now, she likes to constantly switch sides.  So, I explained that she could have each side one time and then we were all done (which takes her about two minutes).  She understands and seems perfectly happy with the situation.  But, as soon as the milk comes in....I can't wait to see her expression!  :)

#6 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myangelbaby View Post

I apologize for taking so long to thank you for your post.  I have had to do just what you suggested....."set limits."  Luckily, she seems pretty content with everything.  Because I have almost no milk right now, she likes to constantly switch sides.  So, I explained that she could have each side one time and then we were all done (which takes her about two minutes).  She understands and seems perfectly happy with the situation.  But, as soon as the milk comes in....I can't wait to see her expression!  :)

lol.gif  She will be *thrilled.*   Just a "warning" about that, though--- don't be surprised if she puts on a bit of weight with the baby being born: there is suddenly going to be a huge fat source for the taking.  I think "normal" is in the 3-5+ range (my DD put on about 5 lbs in a just a few months) but I have read (on MDC) of children putting up to 15 lbs and being perfectly healthy.  Just something to watch for.  I hope your pregnancy continues to go well!

#7 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

That is great to hear!  My daughter is quite small for her age, not a big eater, and runs and plays non-stop....so a couple of extra pounds will be good for her!!  Thanks for the information!  Take care! smile.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page