Yeast & Thrush on and off for a year. Should I give in and take antibiotics?! Please help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At my six week post-pardum appointment, my midwife confirmed that I had yeast after talking about my sore nipples and quick shooting pains in my breasts. My baby also had thrush. Initially, I took agrisept and changed my diet. I thought the yeast had cleared up within me, but my little one still had it. I started eating sugar again and being less careful with my diet. I felt the pains in my breast again and could just tell I had the yeast again. I'm not sure that it had really cleared up in my system, like I thought it did. Long story short, my little one still has thrush at almost a year of age, though it has seemed to come and go and come again. I have read a lot of information suggesting that antibiotics do not rid yeast, but rather the symptoms. I'm so tired of not being able to eat much fruit, and my weight is already lower than it should be. I am also sick of being uncomfortable when nursing my little one. Most of all, I'm concerned that my child still hasn't kicked the yeast. I'm feeling like it may be time to take an antibiotic and load up on probiotics. I'm still fearful that this won't really get rid of the yeast. I know gengtian (SP?) violet is supposed to rid thrush in infants, but I've read it can cause oral cancer so I have not used it. 

I'm desperate for suggestions regarding the use of antibiotics to rid thrush in my baby and yeast in my system. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Uh, yeah.  I'd go ahead and do the meds for a course.  If you still have issues afterwards, I'd roll with the suggestions above, which I think are beautifully informed and written.  But a year of discomfort and pain (including for your baby) and avoiding fruit and sugar?  Enough.

Gentian violet was a complete bust for us, unfortunately.

Good luck, mama and my apologies to the natural community.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges
User Tag List