I need some tips on keeping my milk supply up while pregnant. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out yesterday that I am pregnant with no.2 and no.1 is only 4 months old... My mom always lost her supply when she got pregnant but I am REALLY hoping that doesn't happen. I have been nursing exclusively and he seems to be gaining well and is overall content, he does seem fussy but I am pretty sure its teething. Anyway, does anyone know of some ways to make sure I have plenty of milk? Besides nursing on demand? Also if my mom always lost her milk does that  mean that I will or does it depend? Thanks!

Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 AM

Couldn't read and not offer hugs. No advice but curious as well.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#3 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
From what I've read, 70% of women will have their supply decrease due to pregnancy so I would be prepared to supplement if necessary with donor milk - perhaps you have a friend who could pump for you? - or formula.
You may be lucky enough to keep your milk but other than continuing to nurse on demand, there's nothing you can do to increase your supply. It's basically pregnancy hormones beating out nursing hormones and there's no way to predict what will happen.
What I would do is keep a close eye on your babe's weight - kellymom.com has great resources on normal breastfed infant growth - and supplement if his growth stalls.
Something you might consider is using a supplemental nursing system such as the Medela SNS or (better yet) Lact-Aid so your little one can get all his food at the breast.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#4 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I was afraid that it would be up to hormones... I guess I will start looking into my supplemental choices.... Thanks for the advice!

Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page