Lessened flow of BM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had to return to work and can only pump very 4-6 hourswhere I had been pumping every 3. Would that cause the flow of BM to decrease. My left side hasn't decreased at all but my right side went from 3-4 oz every 4-6 hours to 2 oz no matter what. Is there anything I can do to increase the flow in my right breast. I'm officially getting just enough to feed my DS where I was putting away atleast 5 2oz bags a day in the freezer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found that the amount I could pump at work decreased a lot around the mid year mark.  If you can pump on one side while nursing on the other, you will be surprised at how much more milk you get.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Since breastmilk production works on supply and demand, if the frequency that you empty your breasts is not as high, yes it can affect the overall output.  Is there any way you can pump more at work?  At least every 3 hours?

When you're home make sure to spend time with your baby close, especially skin to skin, as well as feeding at the breast as much as possible, not giving bottles while you're home and sleeping together if you're comfortable with that.

How old is your baby?

Are you using a double pump?

Hang in there mama!  You're doing a good job.  Breastmilk is so important and great for your baby.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges
User Tag List