Unable to BF 1st and now PG with 2nd...suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies! 

I am 28 weeks pregnant with my second son.  With my first, BF was a nightmare.  I don't have the energy to go through my entire saga, but rest assured, I tried EVERYTHING.  The only thing that gives me any hope, is that I tried everything a little too late.  His weight gain problems weren't really diagnosed quickly enough, and by the time I got a good LC, he was 2 weeks old and it was just downhill from there.  There are certain things I am not wiling to do, such as domperidone and around the clock pumping.  The former, because I had awful side effects and the latter because pumping every 2 hours around the clock left me in a dreadful state of PPD which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  So here is what I am planning...if anyone can think of something that I might be leaving out, will you let me know? 

Lact-Aid for at the breast supplementation if necessary

Go-Lacta (malunggay root) starting at 36 weeks and continuing as needed post-partum

Placenta encapsulatoin 

Some pumping

I'll also do the standard lactogenic foods and teas, although these don't tend to do much for those of us with SEVERE supply issues

Can anyone think of anything I'm leaving out?  I hope it works out this time.  If it doesn't, at least I have the experience behind me and the knowledge that my son thrived so beautifully on formula, but it would mean the world to me if this next one could have my BM for more than 8 weeks!  Thanks in advance!!

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Congratulation on your pregnancy and best wishes for your birth!

Often women can have low supply with one birth and go on to have a typical supply with the next, so I hope all goes well for you!

Some ideas that may help:

• An appointment with an IBCLC before birth for an initial assessment, and an appointment scheduled for asap after birth.
  • Skin-to-skin after birth, with the first feed in the first hour after birth
  • nursing as often as possible those first few days and weeks
  • having baby checked for tongue-tie asap after birth, and clipping if there is a tie
  • if baby comes early (before 39 weeks) hand expressing after feeds and re-feeding that colostrum to baby (the "near term protocol- I can get you details if needed).

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!

#3 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 AM

This group on Facebook would probably have alot of suggestions for you: https://www.facebook.com/groups/316544128361585/

Also, on the MOBI site these two links might help you:

http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-issysupply.aspx

http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-LMS.aspx

I'm a Babywearing slinggirl.gif, Cloth diaperingcd.gif, BFing bfinfant.gifusing an SNS, Bedsharing Mamafamilybed1.gif to  DD babygirl.gifborn July '11 at homehomebirth.jpg

#4 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
I just wanted to say it's GREAT that you're planning to supplement at the breast with a Lact-Aid. It's a wonderful product and really saved my nursing relationship with DS1. It was really important that despite the fact I had to supplement, my first son was only fed at the breast.
Second, I really recommend the book "The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk" that is full of ideas about trouble shooting low supply.
I totally agree with Patio that your supply may be much better this time. I had low supply with DS1 and had to supplement 8-10 ounces of formula a day in the Lact-Aid. Despite a rough start, I've been able to EBF roly-poly DS2 - although I'm afraid I did take dom and pump constantly for the first month or so with both kids.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#5 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations on your pregnancy!  I also had low supply with DD1 but have been fine with DD2.  I know you said your story was long, but you might get better advice if you laid out some details.  Eg recommendations would be different if you had insufficient glandular tissue vs retained placenta or tongue tie etc.

I second the recommendation for 'Making More Milk,' it is very thorough.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page