Very healthy ds, but can't completely satisfy baby or pump... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 6 wk old ds. He weighed 7 lbs 15 oz at birth. He dropped almost 10% after birth so we had to supplement at least one bottle a day. Now I would guess he is pushing 11-12 lbs so he is very very healthy. I am still having to give him at least one 2 oz bottle in the evenings because my breasts are just empty and I can't satisfy him. I have let him nurse for hours on end in the evening and this hasn't seemed to increase my supply. I have also tried pumping as the LC recommended pumping after the first morning feeding as my supply will be at it's greatest. The most i got was one ounce from each side then in the evenings my breasts are completely empty and I end up having to give ds 2 bottles. I am going to be going back to work and wanted to have a supply stocked up and I want to stop giving him formula, but I just can't produce enough for him. I have been taking fenugreek and that seems to help a little and I know when I don't drink 96 oz of water a day that I am not as full. He nurse about every 2 to 3 hours and we have had no latch problems. Looking for some advice!!!!
#2 of 4 Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM

Some pumping tricks I learned when pumping exclusively for my non nursing infants may help you.

1. Continue to pump for an additional 3-5 minutes after the flow stops. Many times you will tap into a reserve supply of milk (up to a couple of ounces) and when you this tells your body that the baby is not getting enough and it will increase supply. If you do this every time you pump it can really make a big difference.

2. Cluster pumping. A couple times a day (if you can manage) try pumping/feeding every hour, while at the same time continuing to pump those extra 3-5 minutes each time. This is especially helpful if you do it in the early morning when supply is highest. 

3. Never go more than 4 hours without pumping or feeding. I used to rest from pumping only from midnight until 4 a.m.

These tricks helped me to nearly double my production. I don't know if it will help you as much as it helped me, but I hope it will increase your supply at least some.

#3 of 4 Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM

It's really common (and normal) for baby to cluster feed in the evening. It's baby's way of increasing your supply. You might want to stop the evening bottle and just feed baby at the breast ALL EVENING LONG (it seems sooooooooooo long - I used to watch DVDs to pass the time) and in a couple of days mom's supply usually matches baby's need.

Here's a good explanation: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

and http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html . ~6 weeks is a common time for a growth spurt.

#4 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I also had to watch movies and breastfeed all evening when by son was that age! He would just switch from boob to boob and nurse for hours around that time of day.

Don't assume, just because your breasts feel softer in the evenings, that there is no milk in there! Just because a pump isn't able to get much doesn't mean the baby can't. Why don't you try cluster feeding your son for a few evenings without the bottles and see if that helps? Right now, your boobs are making exactly the right amount of milk for a baby who has two bottles. You need to get them making exactly the right amount of milk for a baby that has no bottles, and the only way he knows how to do that is by sucking constantly on your "empty" breasts.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page