How can I keep my supply up at 12 months old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have always wanted to produce more milk, but seem to have a bit of a low milk supply. Because my baby had low birth weight and slowly gained, I was told by ped. to start solids at 6 months. So I did slowly. Now at 12 months, with all the solids and some supplementing with a little goats milk and formula, I want to keep my supply up for my baby and nurse until he is 2. Any suggestions?  I suspect slight subclinical hypothyroid. Would taking mother love herbs help still. Thanks.

#2 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 PM

If you have been able to breastfeed for this long, then I don't see any reason you can't continue as you have been going all along.  If you suspect hypothyroid, you should get tested, for your benefit and not just your milk supply's.  

Milk supply works on demand.  If your supply has been keeping up to baby's demands, then it should continue that way, even when baby slows demand.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 5 Old 02-18-2012, 09:09 AM

Yes, I think so! I am in the same boat. My supply is quite low, but I'm on a "pumping after nursing" campain this weekend to turn that around. I am taking supplements, too (from Walgreen's). I am excited to see if all the "power pumping" pays off....

Hope we can both get our supplies up!

Let me know!!

P.S. Hmmn--hypothyroid...my aunt has that...should I be tested?

#4 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

HI ladies,

I did get tested as both my grandmothers are on thyroid meds. I have a nodule on the left side of my thyroid. I have appts scheduled with a very experienced ND as well as an endo this month and next. I have been doing research and it seems low iodine can be the cause. I want to take more iodine as I want the nodule to shrink but waiting a little to see what the ND has to say. Taking too much iodine can cause the body to detox and I am not sure that would be healthy for my breast milk.

If you are concerned about thyroid, I would go ahead and get tested!! It is very common for postpartum women to become hypothyroid or have postpartum thyroiditis. Good luck

#5 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

HI ladies,

I did get tested as both my grandmothers are on thyroid meds. I have a nodule on the left side of my thyroid. I have appts scheduled with a very experienced ND as well as an endo this month and next. I have been doing research and it seems low iodine can be the cause. I want to take more iodine as I want the nodule to shrink but waiting a little to see what the ND has to say. Taking too much iodine can cause the body to detox and I am not sure that would be healthy for my breast milk.

If you are concerned about thyroid, I would go ahead and get tested!! It is very common for postpartum women to become hypothyroid or have postpartum thyroiditis. Good luck

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page