Advice on herbs to increase supply - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was able to partially pump for ds#1 for about 6 weeks and for dd#1 for about 8 weeks.  I have pcos, endo, and have had breast implants(under the muscle though so there isn't much concern there).  I am about 5 weeks from having ds#2 and as our situation allows I wont be working or anything plus all of the issues lately with formula and formula fed babies I would do anything to exclusively pump for #2 for as long as possible.  With ds#1 I didn't take any supplements (no implants yet either) and with dd#1 I drank as much rice milk as possible.  My husband is Central American and it was suggested by his mom and I did notice a marked increase with it but obviously not enough to sustain her feedings on my own.  I would like to know what you ladies have tried specifically, the herb and doseage, and what combination os herbs and doseages worked best for you.  I had a meeting with a LC but I didn't get the feeling she was the right one to be working with.  I am willing to spend whatever money it takes but am also not willing to shell out almost as much for everything as I would pay for formula, my toher kids turned out fine and although we have enough money I don't want to be wasting it either.  I have a Medela Lactina hospital pump already purchased, thus another money investment.  Dh is supportive but he also comes from another world and his mom exclusively breastfed even after going back to work, there were days where he babies wouldn't nurse for 6-8 hours and he feels it will just come naturally.  I have looked into taking goat's rue, fenugreek, blessed thistle, fennel seed, and nettle leaf.  All of those herbs can be bought in the Mother's Love More Milk Special Blend but I am not entirely sold on it and it's not the cheapest thing in the world, but not the most expensive thing either.  I wasn't really supposed to be able to have a 3rd baby but due to some hormone therapy the pregnancy was just an amazing side effect.  I do get stressed out kind of easily and am keeping that in mind but I would like to take every opportunity to make this situation and process as smooth and easy as possible.  Any and all input would be greatly appreciated I am pretty desperate to at least exclusively pump if not get the opportunity to skin to skin nurse ds#2.

#2 of 5 Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 PM

Have you contacted an LLL leader?  You can find one here in your area who should be able to offer you free phone or email support.  They offer free support via phone, email, and at monthly meetings.  

May I ask why you are planning to pump?  Pumping is not as effective as nursing a baby at the breast.  Babies need not only breast milk but also benefit from the physical experience of nursing through skin to skin contact, the physical work the jaw does as a baby nurses, . . .

#3 of 5 Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

i do wish i could do skin to skin contact and nursing but i have flat nipples and nothing i have tried thus far has really brought them out.  the bigger issue is that i have never gone past 35 weeks gestation and both of my previous chldren have refused to latch which is very common in premature babies.  i continued working with dd until i was no longer making milk and she always refused.  i will most certainly try to nurse this lo from the breast but i really just want to be prepared in every facet.  i have not contacted the lll in my area but i have heard amazing things about the lady who runs it around here, i am just a bit hesitant to be met with a certain way of doing things that may not work for me or being preached to.  i had some assistance with dd and it was a horrible experience and although we live in a different area now i would rather work alone blindly than to be met in a way tht i dont find pleasing or helpful.  that may sound slightly bratty of me but i really just want the easiest happiest experience available as they are only tiny once and idont want to put a strain on my other kids.

#4 of 5 Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

It seems that you may have a very helpful resource in th LLL leader you spoke of. In the end, it is your baby and your body, you certainly don't have to do anything you do not want to. Contacting her before you expect to birth, so that she is familiar with you, would be a good idea. Good luck to you and best wishes. 

#5 of 5 Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Remember that your son won't be nursing on your nipple, but on your breast. Babies should take a good mouthful of boob and the nipple is forced through suction down their throats. Theoretically, it doesn't really matter what shape your nipple is. You should be able to get it to work. Practically, though, it's possible (but not inevitable!) that you may have some latching issues for awhile while you get started.

Look, the very best thing you can do for your supply, if you can manage it, is to get your son to nurse on your breast. The baby sucking action brings your milk in in a very big way, and there's no herb in the world that will come close to that.

If you're determined to figure it out on your own, there's nothing wrong with a little book knowledge! I understand because I also like to figure stuff out by myself. So, to that end, here's a $20 way to help your supply: read something by Jack Newman. I recommend buying and reading his Guide to Breastfeeding and then watching the videos on his website.

Then fight to have your baby put on you right after birth so you can try latching right away. Then (even though it may be hard) keep trying to latch your son on in the hospital and at home for the first few weeks.

This is the best thing you can do for your supply. It if doesn't work, then, hey, you gave it a shot.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page