Not liking any of my options - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 9.5mo and I recently went back to work. My supply is fine but I'm no longer producing for the pump; if I'm lucky I get 3oz a day and DS needs 10.  I only have about one months supply left in my stash plus a week off of work so I might be able to stretch it to  1.5months.

DS eats plenty of solids during the day but he won't take them instead of his bottles.  He bf's 7-10 times in the evening, overnight and early morning so I'm not really concerned about nutrition if he didn't get those daytime bottles.  He's also getting over MSPI, he seems to be ok with yogurt and cheese, but may have a full blown soy allergy.

I was hoping that I would be able to pump until June when I'm off for the summer, BF on demand and then not worry about supplenting on September when I return to work again, but that plan is quickly going out the window.

I've tried fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea, both increased my supply, but I still couldn't express anything.  I stopped them both for fear of getting a blocked duct at work.  I'm using both a hand pump and electric pump, I've also tried hand expression.  Nothing seems to be working.

So, right now I only see my options being supplementing with formula, cows/goats milk, or plant based milk.  Which would you choose? 

I'm really disappointed that DS is probably not going to have exclusive BM.

Mom to DSfemalesling.GIF 13mo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 AM

I found that when I pumped on one side while nursing the baby on the other, I got lots more milk and a much stronger let-down as well.  You might also want to try switching him to a cup when you are away from him.

#3 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 AM

If you are very much against giving him formula, I'd really start pushing the solid foods. Find things he loves and give him those instead of milk when you are away. And 3girls1boy makes good point. Maybe you could pump 1-2 times while nursing your DS at home and especially on the weekends? 

If all else fails, your DS will be very close to 12 months old when you run out of your freezer stash. You can always switch to organic cow's milk for daytime bottles.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#4 of 4 Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM

Could you encourage him to take more of his nursing calories in the afternoon when you get home/at night?  My son is nearly 1, but once he he really started solids he rarely even wanted bottle breastmilk.  He didn't eat nearly enough during the day to eliminate that milk, but was able to be more picky about where he got his milk from.  I think he just nursed more in the afternoon when I got home, and at night.

Also, this might not be the case for you but I found that my pumping output really scaled back at around 9 months (which caused me unending stress).   

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page