Newborn not staying latched - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is nearly a month old & we're having issues. He was born tongue tied, which I finally managed to get clipped yesterday.

I've been using a nipple shield since he was 2 days because he was constantly slipping off and wasn't able to transfer milk without it. Even with the shield, he hasn't been gaining very well except when I Hirt my wrists doing compressions.

He's alert & peeing/pooping lots, but still isn't back to birth weight.

He nursed really well on both sides right after the tie was clipped and I thought we'd be fine, but nearly every time I've tried since he's come off every 30 seconds or so. That's when I can get him to open enough to latch in the first place and keep his hands out of the way. After multiple attempts I get so frustrated I just give up and use the shield since he nurses well with it.

I'm hoping he can gain even with the shield now the tongue tie isn't an issue, my other kids did, but I'd like to get off the shield if we can.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 PM

I've been thinking about you and baby M! Glad to hear he got his tt clipped. If he is alert and peeing and pooping then sounds like he is doing great. I don't have advice for getting him off the shield but wanted to say hi :)

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#3 of 3 Old 02-24-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hi. :) I did make a post on Twitter yesterday after I noticed you and a few others were wondering about me.

Sadly, he isn't gaining much weight (or hasn't been) so something is up, although I'm grateful he isn't losing weight.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page