Shooting pains in breast after feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-27-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sometimes when my baby is done feeding I get tingling in my nipples and sometimes pain in my breasts. I searched online and found out that it might be due to the fact that the baby squishes the nipple and the blood vessels are squished too. I try to unlatch my baby and then start again. She has started doing this from 2 weeks. Is anybody else facing this issue?
Besides unlatching the baby is there any other solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 PM

I have that problem too sometimes! I am curious as to what BTDT mamas have to say. 

#3 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 AM

Is your nipple white after the baby comes off?  That is vasospasm of the nipple (of form of Raynaud's syndrome).  You can look it up online.  I had this with my last two babies and finally found relief with massive amounts of evening primrose oil supplements.  There used to be a paper online by some Australian lactation consultants that outlined this treatment.  I believe fish oil works as well.

#4 of 6 Old 03-01-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

I looked it up online and yes it is Nipple vasospasm. I will try the oil.
How long does it take for the pain to entirely go away? Did you also apply warmth to your breasts or did the oil alone worked?
#5 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 AM

(disclaimer: this is just what worked for me)  Anyway, I had to take 12 Evening Primrose capsules a day.  It took about 2 weeks before I really noticed a difference (I had had pain for six months) and 6 weeks before I felt it was completely gone.  At that point, I weaned down the amount I was taking over the course of weeks.  I nursed my son for more that 3 years and after that, once and a while the pain would come back (I felt it might have been associated with ovulation), but I found if I took the Evening Primrose oil capsules for a few days during those times, it got better again.

#6 of 6 Old 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM

I hear ya OP! I have this issue as well (vasospasms) and it can be very painful, sometimes excruitiating for me.  Some mamas on here recommended a B6 complex.  I haven't tried that yet but I am certainly going to. Avoid cold (and caffeine).  I haven't found that warmth helped me out too much with this issue after feeding but you can certainly try it.  Dry heat such as a heating pad or even a blow dryer may help (sounds weird I know).  I also heard a warm rice sock works wonders.  I have been using a heating pad afterwards which just helps to ease the pain a bit.  I didn't know about the Evening Primrose oil so I'll have to try that

It really stinks I know! 

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page