Best way to correct oversupply in one breast only? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my right breast is a super milk machine. Always has been! My first son loved it and nursed away on that breast, often shunning poor old leftie, thus contributing to that breast always having way more milk. He nursed like a champ and gained weight great so I just went with it!

Now my newest little guy isn't such a fan of the super boob! It has really forceful letdown (it actually stings me instead of tingling this time around!) and he doesn't like that. He unlatches a lot and just seems to get annoyed at that breast. & letdown happens several times during a feeding, always forceful!  When I'm nursing from the left side the right will just spray and spray.

I've been feeding a lot more from just the left breast, but the right is just not catching on!

Where should I start to correct this?

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#2 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM

It sounds like you're already doing what you need to do. Nurse mostly on the left side and hopefully your right boob will figure it out and stop producing so much soon.

#3 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This link has some useful info on dealing with uneven milk production.  It's super common.  Overall, I would say to just offer the left first, then the right, and then express milk in the right so that's it's not painfully full. It should even out more as time goes on.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

This link may be helpful in working with your larger breast.  You may already be doing this, but holding your baby so he's more upright, when nursing from that larger breast might be something to try.  Also, you can offer the larger breast at times that you know he tends to nurse very well ...like when they're sleepy from just waking up, or during the night.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I don't expect them to even out completely.  Breasts almost never have even milk production.  Your right breast will probably always make more milk and as your baby grows in size he'll probably appreciate it more.  

Are there any other issues with breastfeeding that you're having?  Is he growing well, good latch, satisfied after a feed, lots of diapers and all that?  I just ask because sometimes something seen as "oversupply" can be an issue with the baby's ability to transfer milk.  I don't think that's the case here, but since you mentioned there was a difference from your last baby, I just thought I'd rule that out. 

Let me know if you have any questions about all of that!

#4 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post

Are there any other issues with breastfeeding that you're having?  Is he growing well, good latch, satisfied after a feed, lots of diapers and all that?  I just ask because sometimes something seen as "oversupply" can be an issue with the baby's ability to transfer milk.  I don't think that's the case here, but since you mentioned there was a difference from your last baby, I just thought I'd rule that out. 

Nope, no other issues luckily! He gained over 5 pounds from birth to 2 months, wet & dirty diapers all normal, & he always seems satisfied and is now going a few hours in between most days. I think he's just not a hog like my first was and doesn't yet appreciate the massive milk supply! lol.gif

Thank you for the great advice!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sounds great!  Good job mama.  :)

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page