Hungry newborn - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby is now a month old.  Since birth, he has been eating every 1 1/2 hours, sometimes going a tad longer but not normally.  I posted earlier on MDC about my painful vasospasms and trying to get over that challenge but haven't been able to yet.  Now I'm finding it difficult to keep up with the constant feedings.  My breasts are very sore (especially my nipples) from the vasospasms and I am just terribly exhausted.  I tried to pump here and there for storage so my hubby can give our DS a bottle to relieve me sometimes but I find it's hard to do that because little DS is eating so often that if I try to pump after a feeding, by his next feeding, there is not much left for him and I wind up using what I just pumped anyway. Any ideas on how I can pump in this situation? The only thing I can think of is to supplement one feeding with formula so I can get some pumping in to store.  I'm really exhausted, in pain, and need some rest.

(BTW...I've talked to the LCs several times about my BFing issues and I don't feel I am getting much help.  I've tried breast compressions when my baby starts to fall asleep on the breast and tried leaving him on one side to make sure he gets the hindmilk, but nothing seems to be working.)

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#2 of 10 Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM

My DS nursed every 60-90 min at that age. He was lip and tongue-tied. After getting his lip tie clipped he ate every 90-120 min, it was much more comfortable for me, and he gained much faster too.

I know you are working hard on the vasospasms - were you able to get someone knowledgeable look for a tongue-tie? That could be a fixable source of the trauma resulting in the spasms.

hug2.gif Hang in there!

I would be wary about giving a bottle because of latching issues - don't want to make the latch worse and hurt more. Could your DH cup feed if necessary?

What about donor milk? If you need to supplement that may be an option for you that avoids the risks of formula.

OK, heading over to the vasospasms thread to see if there is anything else I can think of.

#3 of 10 Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

My DS nursed every 60-90 min at that age. He was lip and tongue-tied. After getting his lip tie clipped he ate every 90-120 min, it was much more comfortable for me, and he gained much faster too.

I know you are working hard on the vasospasms - were you able to get someone knowledgeable look for a tongue-tie? That could be a fixable source of the trauma resulting in the spasms.

hug2.gif Hang in there!

I would be wary about giving a bottle because of latching issues - don't want to make the latch worse and hurt more. Could your DH cup feed if necessary?

What about donor milk? If you need to supplement that may be an option for you that avoids the risks of formula.

OK, heading over to the vasospasms thread to see if there is anything else I can think of.

Thank you PatioGardener! I know you've been trying to help me with my vasospasmssmile.gif.  When we had his ped's appointment last week, I made sure the ped checked out to see if he had tongue-tie.  The ped said he didn't.  I'm starting to think my little guy is just a little piggywinky.gif

I did wind up giving him a bottle of my pumped beastmilk previously and I was worried how he'd latch after that but all has been okay since then.  Just not sure how I am going to keep up with him. 

How do you ever know if your supply is enough for your babe?  I mean, he's gaining weight at a great rate so I assume he's getting more than enough milk, but I wonder how would you ever truly know if he's getting what he needs at each feeding?

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#4 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon010 View Post

How do you ever know if your supply is enough for your babe?  I mean, he's gaining weight at a great rate so I assume he's getting more than enough milk, but I wonder how would you ever truly know if he's getting what he needs at each feeding?

So I look at this question from the other side winky.gif. I say to myself "OK, you know that your body is made to breastfeed, so why wouldn't your little one be getting enough milk?" I assumed that all was OK unless there was a sign that it wasn't.

Signs I looked for with a newborn:

• baby didn't have 5 heavy wet diapers in 24 hours.  This never happened.
  • baby didn't poop 2-3 times a day in the first 6 weeks. This never happened.
  • baby didn't flake out with a contented milk-drunk smile after most feeds. This only happened when he was sick.
  • baby didn't grow according to the WHO growth chart. This never happened. Even before he got his lip tie clipped he was growing at a typical rate.

So I was sure he was getting enough because there were no worrying signs.

Hope that helps!

#5 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, that does help.  He defintiely passes all of those signs.  I think he is a comfort-sucker and I'm not sure how to handle that.  Sometimes I can't tell if he is truly hungry or just wants to comfort-suck.  I'll nurse him when he shows signs such as rooting, etc., and he'll seem like he is starving, but then winds up falling asleep at the breast shortly thereafter.  Breast compressions and trying to wake him up doesn't always seem to work, so on those occasions, I think all he wanted to do was to suck on something. He'll start out gulping really good but then go to that non-nutrient type of suck.  He'll even let himself off and then want to come back a half-hour later! I got desperate and tried a pacifier but he won't take it.  I know he would remain attached to the breast all day long if he coulddizzy.gif

There are times where he will nurse for a good amount of time and in my mind should be really, really full, but then shortly after, he is rooting and crying again looking for more and at that point, my breasts are out of commission!  During those instances, I sometimes can calm him down because I know he can't be hungry and then he'll wind up falling asleep in the swing but that doesn't always work and I wind up giving in again because I wonder "Maybe he really IS still hungry."  I feel like that may be setting up a really bad habit and I don't want to do that.

Ughhh....I'll figure it out sooner or latersmile.gif

#6 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM

I find this really helpful. It explains the "why" behind the constant nursing, and made me feel good about it even if it wasn't comfortable/drove me crazy. Hopefully it will help you too!

#7 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just here to commiserate with you, Silver Moon. I have a very thirsty baby as well! He is two months old (3 weeks adjusted because he was early) and he eats what feels like 24/7. He doesn't want to be put down and gives me hunger cues constantly, but then he just gives little butterfly sucks and falls asleep. If I move him off my breast, he wakes up and demands more. He will take the breast ANYtime offered. He doesn't want to be put down for anything, so I can hardly go to the bathroom or do anything. He is gaining weight beyond the norm and shows all signs that he is getting enough, so I can only assume he is a little piggy or just loves being close to mama. I hear it gets better, but at this point I really wonder! For now, I'm just sitting on the computer with a babe at my breast letting the time go by. I don't know how you do it with another child! Good luck to you!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#8 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

I find this really helpful. It explains the "why" behind the constant nursing, and made me feel good about it even if it wasn't comfortable/drove me crazy. Hopefully it will help you too!

That article is helpful--thanks!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#9 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaleka87 View Post  He doesn't want to be put down for anything, so I can hardly go to the bathroom or do anything.

That was me, too! My friend taught me how to use a wrap, and I wore him ALL THE TIME. (This allowed me to use the bathroom without him screaming because he missed me!)

#10 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM

My little guy is the same. He is also very sensitive to weather changes and even solar activity. Velcro baby 100% asks for a boob all the time. Pees a lot, gains weight so im sure he is not starving, he just loves eating and being close to me.

hijab.gif  rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif K born Jan 2012 now we are bfinfant.gif familybed1.gif and learning how to slingboy.gif and CD

baby R brokenheart.gif Oct 2011.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page