Anti-histamines and Breastfeeding - help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

Pregnant with number 2, and feeling the pain of allergies.  Last time I had really low supply and couldn't exclusively BF, I would like to NOT have that problem this time- I was told that anti-histamine medication may have been a contributing factor.

Anybody have some facts?  Or at least some guidelines?  I'm only 2 months pregnant at the most and not sure when, if ever it is ok, or how often, etc... I would just like some relief from the sneezing and watery eyes!

Thanks!

Blarg, blarg-blargity- BLARG!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 AM

I thought it was the decongestants that were the contributing factor in low supply.  Make sure that whatever you take doesn't contain a decongestant (Often times, the brand name has a -D tacked on the end i.e. Claritn-D)  Call a La Leche League leader that has a current copy of Dr. Hale's book "Medications and Mother's Milk" to find out what his research has discovered about the specific drug you plan to take.

Some people say taking a tablespoon of locally produced honey every day can help with allergies.  It has to be local so that the bees have been working around the same pollens that you are being exposed to.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM

I take claritin (loretadine) for allergies with no supply issues. (But I never had low supply.)

I agree with the PP that the decongestant part (pseudoephedrine) is usually what's blamed for loss of supply.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Ugh, Sudafed (which a doctor told me to take) dried me up with ds1.  It happened SO fast.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges
User Tag List