exclusively pumping and trying to get him back to breast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-14-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been exclusively pumping since day 1. My son refused to latch so I wanted to make sure he got colostrum and breast milk only. I think the breastfeeding "help" at the hospital only damaged our nursing relationship even further =(  I have seen 3 LCs and have a very supportive one that I love. But, he still refuses to latch despite three LCs, cranial-sacral therapy, the nipple shield, etc. On top of that I have had thrush, mastitis, a drop in supply that I had to go on domperidone for (natural methods just didn't help me,) AND I am currently dealing with a staph infection in my breasts... who the heck gets a staph infection of the breasts? it's excruciating by the way. Still pushing on though, my son DESERVES breastmilk no matter what I have to do to get it. Anyway, I tried latching him on the other day, and he started to sort of nibble of the tip of my nipple and feel around with his lips and tongue. This got me so excited lol. Does anyone have any tips for bringing him back to breast? Has anyone had success with rebirthing?

lactivist.gifintactivist.gif, crunchy wife and mama to big Michael and baby Michael stillheart.gif  We saynovax.gifand signcirc1.gif but we love cd.gifslingboy.gif and familybed1.gif.  Currently exclusively pumping 1pump.gif but hoping to bfinfant.gifsuccessfully soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM

First let me say congratulations! This must be such a trying time for you with all of this going on in your babymoon! Has the LC said anything about a supplemental nursing system? You could use that to get him on the breast for every feed and then keep working on the latch. HE is going to favor the bottle b/c it is less work period.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 7 Old 03-14-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

First let me say congratulations! This must be such a trying time for you with all of this going on in your babymoon! Has the LC said anything about a supplemental nursing system? You could use that to get him on the breast for every feed and then keep working on the latch. HE is going to favor the bottle b/c it is less work period.

no, she hasn't mentioned this. what is it exactly??

lactivist.gifintactivist.gif, crunchy wife and mama to big Michael and baby Michael stillheart.gif  We saynovax.gifand signcirc1.gif but we love cd.gifslingboy.gif and familybed1.gif.  Currently exclusively pumping 1pump.gif but hoping to bfinfant.gifsuccessfully soon!

#4 of 7 Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM

You put the expressed milk in a "bag" and attach the tubes to your nipples. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKJnUdsjplU

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 7 Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

You put the expressed milk in a "bag" and attach the tubes to your nipples. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKJnUdsjplU

yeah i googled it earlier and spoke to my LC. we're going to try it out! thanks for the suggestion =)

#6 of 7 Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 PM

Hang in there.  I had to stop trying to nurse and just pump for a whole month but I eventually got them (twins) back on the boob.  I was so worried that they would never want "me" because those bottles worked so well for them but they did come back.  One day after not trying to latch them for three weeks I tried it and they latched right on like they never had known anything different.  We are still nursing at nine months!  Just wanted to let you know it can work out.  If not, you pump and be proud of all the work you are doing for that sweet baby!

#7 of 7 Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiluonika View Post

yeah i googled it earlier and spoke to my LC. we're going to try it out! thanks for the suggestion =)

Hope it works!

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page