"Nursing Strike"-- Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppppp !!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my DS who is turning 4 months in a week has decided to go on a "nursing strike". At least this is what my la leche league sponser and the book (The motherly art of breast feeding) has called it. He's been breast fed and bottle fed expressed milk with great succes, until yesterday. My DS has never welcomed a pacifier even after several attempts by my DH and I as well as trying different types. So yesterday, while cooking, I decided to "take a break" so that  I could cook my DH a nice meal. I decided on curry chicken with vegetables. A dish I havent made since my DS was born.  Lately he's been eating like every 2 hours sometimes even less and I thought maybe i should try the pacifier to see if I could stretch the feedings out a bit as well as get a break so that I could finish cooking. (My DS is 20 lbs and not yet 4 mos. bare in mind DH and I are real tall, but I thought the feeding were to close together)  I knew he was sleepy and normally  nurses to fall a sleep but I decided against it and introduced the paci, holding it in his mouth until he fell asleep.  He's never used it in the past and it seemed as though he didnt really know how to hold it in his mouth. He fell asleep with the paci in his mouth and even cried when it fell out, so I simply placed it back in.  So my sleeping beauty woke up from his nap and starting crying and when I went to give him the breast he REFUSED!!! To my dismay I thought something was wrong.  I didnt have any BM in the fridge and I knew he was hungry so I gave him a small bottle of formula (2 oz)  they gave me while in the hospital (lucky I saved it). He gulped it down with a vengence and when back to sleep. When he woke up again he refused the breast and did the same all night into this morning, cried most of the night. I've since pumped and have bottle fed the expressed milk but I am afraid that he wont nurse again. Those are times I REALLY love and want them back. Feeling a bit emotional about the whole situation. Any one has gone through the same or similar situation and can offer some advise?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh no!  I'm sorry nobody has replied yet.  Here is a link to kellymom, which is an AWESOME breastfeeding support site: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/    Lots of great information there.  Also, do you have an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) in your area (http://americas.iblce.org/find-an-ibclc)?  A lactation consultant could give you some great in person help, but you need to find someone with the right training.  I think it's worth fighting to get him back to the breast, because pumping doesn't keep your supply up the same way as nursing (besides being more of a pain in the tush and not as fun!)  I hope you find some good support!  Good luck.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#3 of 4 Old 03-24-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

IS there any chance he is in pain..ear infection or somethign that would make him less likely to nurse? That happened with my middle...

#4 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I don't know this may be obvious but I would ditch all of the artifical nipples...no pacis or bottles and just offer the breast as frequently as possible. Skin to skin contact, if you have a baby carrier or sling, place him on your body and go about your day in the house, with your top open so he can have access to the breast. The close proximity, smell, sense of touch and motion may get him to latch on.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page