Is it completely hopeless to try and teach a 6 month old to latch? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS latched on great from birth, but only nursed for 6 weeks due to problems. Here's my thread if any one is wondering why.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1333532/i-think-i-know-what-i-have-to-do

I've been pumping since then, while he's been on formula. I'm getting about 5 ounces a day, but I know it would increase if I could find the time to pump more.

I would like to try and get him to latch again, but am wondering if I've missed the window.

I still don't really know how he is going to take being on breastmilk full time, but I want to give it one last go before I throw in the towel of ever trying to get him to latch.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

ok... I guess I'll take that as a yes greensad.gif

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, I don't think it's too late. This forum is not super-busy and most people who clicked on the post were probably just wanting to read the post. Anyways, I personally know someone who pumped exclusively and finally got her daughter to latch around 6 months. I would highly suggest contacting your local LLL for some hands-on help in getting that to happen, though. If you've not nursed a baby prior to this one, that help would probably be invaluable. The way you hold, position, etc can all help to encourage the baby to latch on. Google laid-back breastfeeding and spend as much time skin-to-skin as possible. Babies have instincts that help them get latched on, but they need to be in the right place (the breast!) in order to do so. Best of luck to you - don't give up, you're doing a great thing for your baby!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 06:15 AM

it's not impossible at all!

I know of a woman, in my LLL group actually!, who ended up getting her adopted baby a few months after her surprise baby was born and the adopted baby was able to latch and she has breastfed ever since. If a newborn has problems latching, you expel milk so they can smell the scent, so whenever you 6 month old shows signs of hunger, give him the breast first.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for restoring my hope! I was about to give up pumping. Its almost impossible to take care of 2 young children while pumping every 3 hours. If I could get him to latch, it would be so much easier.

Now I know I'm going to keep trying. I have a lactation conultant that I have worked with in the past. Now that I'm pumping alot more milk, maybe he will latch.

Womenswisdom, I nursed my first DS for 2.5 years, and nursed this little one for about 6 weeks. He was a great latcher when he was born.

#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM

I read your entire post about the problems you've faced, and I can't believe you're still pumping after all of it. That's amazing tenacity. I'm so sorry you've gone through all that. I hope your LO is doing better. I don't have much advice to offer, as I haven't faced this problem, but I'm sure that with the right support you can do it, you've already done so much to keep the possibility of breastfeeding an option.

I would try offering the breast as often as possible without any pressure on either of you, maybe every time before you pump, offer boob to LO first. See if LO wants to lick or nibble or even just play with your boob for a few minutes, and if boob continues to be presented it seems likely your LO will eventually try to latch. Six months doesn't sound too old after all I've read in these forums. And your DS has latched in the past, so hopefully it'll all come back to him.

Good luck, I wish you all the best. And know that you've done so much for your LO, whether breastfeeding works or not. He's lucky to have you.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page