Mothering Forum banner

Drying up on one side

588 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jennyanydots 
#1 ·
My DS2 is 6 months old. We still EBF, and it has been going really well until the last few days. He started to get really fussy and biting my nipple on my right side about 3 days ago. Every time I tried to feed him he would start biting a few minutes into the feed. Yesterday afternoon it was so bad I decided to skip nursing from that side for a few feeds and just pump to give my nipple some time to recover. He normally only feeds from one side at a time anyway. So after 15 min on the electric breast pump I can a massive 1/2 oz of milk. I thought it might just be the time (6pm) so decided to leave it overnight and try again in the morning. I usually get 5-7 oz in 5 min from that side if it has gone all night without a feed. So I tried again this morning and all I got was 1/2 oz.

With DS1 had had such a bad over supply that he got lactose overload, and refused to nurse from 3 months on and we eventually switched to formula. I was so happy that I didn't have the same supply issues this time, and everything had been going really well until the last few days.

I would like to continue EBF for at least another month or two before starting solids. DS2 is a chunk of a baby at 23lb (only 4lb lighter than his almost 22 month old brother) and he has plenty of wet diapers so I know he is getting enough milk from the left side.

Is there anything I can do to encourage my supply back on my right side, without having my son chew off my nipple while we wait.

Thank you for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do some online research on power pumping. This might be a way to get your supply up. Whatever you do, try not to go more than three hours without pumping that side if your LO is not emptying that breast. You need to send a message that more milk is needed and if you go long periods without doing that, the supply will dwindle even more.

Your LO is probably refusing to nurse on that side because of the low supply, but perhaps you should look into chiropractic care or switching positions. I know sometimes they refuse to nurse on one side because of neck pain and this can be fixed by a skilled chiropractor.

#3 ·
Same thing happened here - my husband started calling me BigBoobLittleBoob. I just stopped nursing on the left when dd was 6 months old and she fed only on the right until she weaned herself at 18 months. It was no problem. Same thing is happening now, and I'm just phasing out the lazy boob again.

#4 ·
I'm having issues with DS (9 mos) only wanting one side, too, and I'm pretty sure it's a position preference. I can kinda trick him into taking the unfavorite breast by positioning myself just so, but it stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaya View Post

Same thing happened here - my husband started calling me BigBoobLittleBoob. I just stopped nursing on the left when dd was 6 months old and she fed only on the right until she weaned herself at 18 months. It was no problem. Same thing is happening now, and I'm just phasing out the lazy boob again.
I'm curious about what this did to your breasts long term, if you don't mind my asking? I worry about having significant size discrepancy after he weans... did you go back to normal? Thanks :)

#5 ·
There wasn't any size difference before having a kid to clue me in on a possible lazy boob. And there thankfully wasn't any size difference after weaning, either -- they went almost exactly back to their original (itty-bitty) state.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaya View Post

There wasn't any size difference before having a kid to clue me in on a possible lazy boob. And there thankfully wasn't any size difference after weaning, either -- they went almost exactly back to their original (itty-bitty) state.
Good to hear! I hope I'll be so fortunate- I worry I'll look like an Amazon forever ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.