Totally overwhelmed: chronic yeast infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my second child I've nursed and from the very beginning I've had painful letdowns. My baby was in the nicu for a couple of days and they did give him antibiotics. I can't remember if I had pain the very first few times I nursed, but definitely remember within a couple of days of his birth.

He's now 6 months and we've been treated for yeast 3 times with prescription meds. He has been clear of symptoms for 3 months, but I still have painful letdowns. That's really the only symptom but sometimes my nipples are painful, a little red, sometimes a tiny bit flaky.

I am now on a strict anti-yeast diet (2.5 weeks) and I just feel hopeless about getting the yeast out of my house. I read the article on MDC about ways to get rid of it and I honestly see it as an impossible task of ridding it from the family - IF that's what I have.

Does it sound like a systemic yeast infection? Can I get tested - how?

Am I harming my baby by not getting rid of it? I've read some awfully scary things that link yeast to autoimmune diseases and even autism.

Any help, encouragement, insight, btdt stories would be great.

Thanks mamas!

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#2 of 6 Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM

I had some problems with yeast, my daughter is 7wks and after 4-5wks of thrush I think it is gone. I ordered some powerful probiotics online, super spendy but worked. Living Stream probiotics for me. and some other probiotics for my daughter that I also used topically on my nipples. If you want the name and website I got them from i can get them to you. they were around $60 each. Hope you get rid of it soon! Also I dont think a painful letdown has to do with thrush but the nipple symptoms sound like thrush. Best of luck to you and your little one :)

#3 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM

Did the article mention using Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)? I've used it both in liquid form (nasty tasting), added to water, and in pill. I used to have chronic yeast infections (vaginal). If your partner or others in the house aren't treating themselves, then it will be difficult to get rid of. It's one of those things that everyone has anyway, so those with chronic issues with it are sensitive. I never had any luck with prescription medication. GSE is more powerful, IMO.

#4 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamisDove View Post

Did the article mention using Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)? I've used it both in liquid form (nasty tasting), added to water, and in pill. I used to have chronic yeast infections (vaginal). If your partner or others in the house aren't treating themselves, then it will be difficult to get rid of. It's one of those things that everyone has anyway, so those with chronic issues with it are sensitive. I never had any luck with prescription medication. GSE is more powerful, IMO.

I do have some GSE but haven't been good at taking it. Dh and I are both on this anti-yeast diet. I just feel like I won't be able to get it off all our laundry and all of the kids' toys. And I really don't know how I'd even begin to treat my three-year old if he has it too.

Maybe I'll up the antibiotics and take the GSE orally (I've used it topically and in the with the laundry).

Thanks

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#5 of 6 Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Hi there, it does sound like a yeast infection. I had it with my first child too (as well as all through my pregnancy with her). She does have some developmental delays though fortunately we're working through them quite well with nutriceutical support. 

I personally recommend very high dosages of organic unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. You may also want to look in to the possibility of doing a round of oral nystatin. Check with your doc, but it is considered a very safe drug, if you are open to that. I am very anti-pharma, but in this case, I think the benefit of using it outweighs the risk. Good luck to you.

#6 of 6 Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 PM

What have you been doing to get rid of the thrush? I found Jack Newman's website really helpful and this is what I've done to get rid of it:

-Genitan Violet protocol: SUPER messy but really helped.

-GSE pills

-Switching to disposable breast pads while I was treating myself

-cutting down on sugar (sounds like you have this covered)

-Wiping my nipples off with 1:4 solution of apple cider vinegar to water. I put a spray bottle in the bathroom and sprayed and wiped off with TP every time I went to the bathroom or when I thought to do it.

-Probiotics for me & DS

-treated for 5 days when symptoms went away, then kept treating for another week (except for GV, you are only supposed to do that for a week max)

For me, it helped when my naturopathic doc told me that we all have yeast on our bodies, it's just about getting it back in proper balance. It's not like lice that you have to get rid of every single bit. So, I did wash all my clothes in hot water, but I didn't boil all my clothes like I've read. Also, I asked my DH to help me in the fight. It's really hard to find time to do all these things with a baby. Especially with the GV which is SOOO messy.

Also, if you do the GV, I found that Huggies Aloe Natural Care wipes are great at getting the GV off your fingers, counter, etc. I don't use disp wipes for anything else, but it was great for GV. I read some places that say to put the GV on your breast and then feed your baby, but that was too messy. So, I'd nurse first, then treat myself (put it on my nipples with a qtip). Then I'd dip another qtip in the GV and rub it in DS's mouth. Be sure your LO and you are wearing old clothes that can be stained.

Good luck. I know getting rid of thrush can be stressful, but you can do it!  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

ETA: I've heard wonderful things about Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment (ANPO). I couldn't get my doc to prescribe any, so I don't have any personal experience. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76:all-purpose-nipple-ointment-apno&catid=5:information&Itemid=17

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page