bloody stools, allergies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been EBF my 7wk old and a bout 3 weeks ago she had a couple of bloody spots in her poo. I took out dairy and they seemed to get better. Then tonight she had one big normal poo. then 15min later she had another small one but it was full of bloody specks, streaks. Not a ton but more then a couple spots. I havent had ANY dairy?? I dont think its soy cuz it was all of a sudden and I have had some soy in the last couple weeks. She is otherwise gaining weight ok, happy, sleeping alot. Any advise I would really appreciate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 AM

Dairy can stay in your breastmilk for about 2 weeks, and it takes about another 2-3 weeks for it to leave baby's system.  I don't know what the time frame is for soy, but it's definitely not overnight.

Is it possible that you have an overactive letdown and/or oversupply?  The symptoms can be similar.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Does oversupply cause bloody stool?  I haven't heard that but could be.  Is the poo green, green-brown, or frothy, or is it regular yellow poo with blood specks?  Can you see the seeds in it?

Other causes for bloody stool can be perianal abrasion - did you look around her anus to see whether the skin is intact there?

If it is a food intolerance and it isn't dairy then honestly it could be almost anything.  My DD turned out to have this reaction to eggs.  After 5 weeks off dairy and no change I figured it out with an elimination diet (started with nothing but chicken, apples, and rice, then added foods slowly).  I recommend this approach bc it is way faster than eliminating individual suspects (soy, wheat, etc) one by one.

Honestly we still have the occasional blood speck in the diaper from time to time even when I have not had an egg.  I guess there are some other minor intolerances as well but I talked to a friend of mine who is a pedi gastroenterologist and she said as long as the baby gains well and seems happy it's not a big deal.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I am thinking it is oversupply/ too much foremilk. I felt really low the last week then I started taking more go lacta (mulungay leaf) and feeding on both sides, then the otherday I felt very full. No green frothy poos. yellow to yellow brown. She has never had much seeds in her poop just a couple here and there. I have wondered about that as well... if it means anything?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM

So the seeds are supposed to be indicative of fat content I think.  So theoretically if the poo were less seedy it might point towards foremilk/hindmilk imbalance I guess?

BUT in my own experience I have noticed that when I eat an egg, DD gets green frothy watery poo +/- blood specks, AND all the seeds disappear from the poo.  I don't know what's up with that.  I definitely do not have oversupply.  When I do not eat eggs she generally has beautiful yellow poo with tons of seeds.  So IME a disrupted gut also seems to reduce seed count.  Maybe there is something about correct processing of the fat in the gut that makes the seeds?  Dunno.  But either way I think low seed count suggests something isn't totally right.

Do you ever pump to store milk?  If so, what does the fat layer on the top look like?  If you are pumping a ton and mostly foremilk that could point towards oversupply too.  I haven't dealt with oversupply myself but I hear block feeding helps with that.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I pumped after feeding her and got an ounce on both sides, very small layer of fat on top when I put it in the refridgerator.  I might need bigger flanges?  Any way I dont think I have that much of an over supply. Is it possible to have low fat content of milk but not oversupply? I eat alot of healthy fats. cocnut oil, avocados, olive oil ect. I have read on other threads that low seeds doesnt mean low fat content but I dont know.  I will think about an elimination diet. I already eat gluten, dairy, nut free. but my son does have an egg allergy so that is one thing I will definately cut out right away.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM

If you don't think you have oversupply I would not worry about the fat content of the milk.  I think Kellymom says that a) there's not much you can do to change the fat content of your milk, and b) it doesn't make a difference to the baby's weight gain or general health.

Honestly if baby is gaining well, seems happy, is not gassy, poo is yellow and not foamy, and it's just that you're seeing a few specks of blood once a month...?  I'm not sure there is a problem here that you should drive yourself crazy trying to solve.  I mean maybe there is a mild food intolerance there but how much of a problem is it really causing?

Vaccines save lives.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good to me! I am sick of driving myself crazy worrying about everything wink1.gif. Hopefully there isnt any more. Thank you!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Had the same issue with DD and it returned several times until we began solids at 6.5 months.  Doctor said it was something I ate (I also cut out dairy and gluten due to my own allergies).  Cutting out eggs helped, but it still happened once in a while, usually accompanied by redness around her anus.  But now that she's eating solids it's stopped.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, i sure hope hers stops. Did your DD have any mucous with it or watery stools. My DD seems to switch between watery, mucousy and normal stools? I cant figure out what im eating to cause it. The watery stopped when i cut out nuts but then returned a couple weeks later?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if you can get babies tested for food intolerances?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 PM

when i went through all of what you describe with our dd, i was told that intolerances aren't something you can test for, sorry.  my dd grew out of it, if that helps.  also, her symptoms were very mucousy and occasionally blood-spotted poop.  i went on an elimination diet and quit dairy for quite some time but it never went away till around 6 mos. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, i hope she outgrows it when i introduce food! Im pretty sure intolerances can be tested for, my 3yr old has ASD and most doctors only do IGE testing (seriouse allergies) but his DAN doctor is going to do IGG testing.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges
User Tag List