Safety of using a used Lact-aid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone give me information on using a pre-owned (used) lact-aid?  I purchased the deluxe starter kit, minus some of the bags that were already used, on ebay for $10. It also included the lace pouch, so over a $72 value for just $10.  I know it's a good deal, and even if I just get the leftover bags and some of the parts out of it, it's paid for itself.

It is from an adoptive mother. I am going to follow up and see if she used formula or donor breastmilk.  If she used formula I'm more comfortable using it as it never had any bodily fluids in it.

Would anyone have any reservations on using this?  I just don't know and would like an outsiders perspective. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 AM

Awesome deal!
I wouldn't hestitate to use them, whether the original owner supplemented with BM or formula as long as you clean them well before use. I can't imagine any pathogen could survive long enough to be a problem.
My SIL gave me her LAs when she was done with them and never had any problem. Just inspect all the parts before assembling them. The feeding tube can develop small holes after prolonged use.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I received it and kept all of the parts except for the 2 actual tube assemblies.  I still felt like I got my money's worth and I ordered 4 more assemblies and some bags from lact-aid!  So in total for around $100 I have 4 units, over 300 bags, the filter, the cleaning syringe, the bag holder, the lace pouch, etc.  Kind of the best of both worlds.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges
User Tag List