Doner milk from a trusted source - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all! Now I've got a freezer full of doner milk from a trusted source, and when I mentioned to my pediatrician that I was going to start using it to supplement my own milk (I have triplets...), he said that was not advisable. We were stressed and in a rush and I never got to ask him why. Why would it not be advisable to give 3-month-old babies doner milk -- I know the source very well, she has a great diet, and I'm 100% she's HIV negative. Any other reasons a main-stream dr. would say don't do it? I would ask him, but he's impossible to get ahold of. I've been supplementing my own milk with formula this whole time. I don't have much time to research, and my LLL book on Mothering Multiples doesn't go into it. Thank you!

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#2 of 4 Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 AM

Your doctor has likely read the FDA warning about donor BM: http://www.fda.gov/ScienceResearch/SpecialTopics/PediatricTherapeuticsResearch/ucm235203.htm
Whether you feel comfortable using it is another matter. If you know your donor is HIV and hepatitis free and doesn't take prescription or street drugs, I personally would use it. If you're concerned, you could ask your donor to sign a release so her MW or doctor could share her negative test results from her prenatal screening.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 4 Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Megan. I trust this mama 100%, and I'm just going to go with it.

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#4 of 4 Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

Your doctor has likely read the FDA warning about donor BM: http://www.fda.gov/ScienceResearch/SpecialTopics/PediatricTherapeuticsResearch/ucm235203.htm
Whether you feel comfortable using it is another matter. If you know your donor is HIV and hepatitis free and doesn't take prescription or street drugs, I personally would use it. If you're concerned, you could ask your donor to sign a release so her MW or doctor could share her negative test results from her prenatal screening.

I agree with all of this. Physicians haven't been taught to weigh the risks of donor milk against the risks of formula - most haven't even really given donor milk much thought at all!

I too would use donor milk if I needed it, with the same caveats that Megan listed above.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page