Please make the pinching stop! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

11mo DD pinches me horrendously while nursing. Hard. And constantly. And I am losing. my. mind! I've tried everything I can think of to get her to stop. She gets mad if I hold her hands or hand her something else to play with. Sometimes I can put newborn mitts on her hands without her freaking, but she usually just tries to pinch me through them. She even does it when she's sleep-nursing. I have marks all over my boobs from her baby nails. She pinches DH sometimes too, but he's usually ok if he wears long sleeves, whereas I have no choice but to bare my skin to her several times a day for feedings.

Between the pinching and the biting, I'm starting to dread nursing. How do I make her stop??

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

All I can offer is sympathy. Ds was a pincher, big time. In fact he only stopped pinching a couple months ago. I tried so many things. I did find holding his hand was a little helpful but I had to be a bit strict about it as he got older - as in, if you want to nurse than you have to allow me to hold your hand.

With ds the pinching morphed into a compulsive thing even when he wasn't nursing. It was very frustrating (& painful). A few months ago I resorted to pinching him back every time he pinched me or the baby (I am NOT proud of this but was absolutely at my wit's end after 3 years of the pinching) & it took one day for him to stop completely as he finally understood I was telling the truth when I said it hurt.

I know that's not helpful, I really hope you can find a quicker solution.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's like a comfort thing I think, which is why they get so upset when you try to interfere with it. I noticed if my boys were tired or didn't feel well they were more prone to freak if I tried to stop them. I tried creating a barrier, like my hand, shirt, burp cloth, etc. Sometimes that worked. If not I would make sure to either give them a little pureed fruit or something before hand to help them get full faster and nurse for a shorter time, and I also nursed them before their tired/grumpy signs were showing and that helped too.  

Never give up your rights

chicken3.gif waterbirth.jpg vbac.gif

Mother of 4 boys, 5 if you count my husband

Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 AM

I feel your pain.  DD2 was a pincher, and so is DS.  I try to keep fabric between his hands and my skin when possible, and sometimes nursing necklaces (i've made a bunch) or other hard-to-destroy jewelry helps some.  

Best of luck!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM

Bloody welts on my breasts, chest, chin and triceps here.  The mittens are my best bet.  Look about for thicker ones - I hate a set that she can't pinch through.  They are a specialty layette piece, fairly pricey, those Gerber 3-pack ones she can pinch through too.

scared.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM

I don't have much great advice, but I feel your pain (literally)--my 9-month-old has gone through two recent phases of pinching and it drove me CRAZY. I literally think if I were not so committed to nursing, I would have stopped, because the whole experience became so unpleasant for a while. I did what other people suggested and held his hand every time he did it, even when he complained. When I took his hand in mine after he pinched, I would say "No. No pinching. That hurts Mama." every time as well. A couple of times he truly hurt me and I ended up using a stern voice, which made me feel terrible because it scared him, but my chest was full of bruises and scratches and it was not sustainable. Now he's back to his previous habit of scratching the side of his head when nursing...hopefully he'll stick with that for a while!  Luckily, we have not had any biting while nursing...knock on wood. 

Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 AM

i just came on here to get some advice for this! 6 mth old, here. she gets really upset when i stop her. my last baby did it also and i couldn't make her stop. i use mittens (winter ones when it gets bad). i get their need to squeeze but jeez, why can't they use  a substitute?! i wonder if we got a thin piece of silicone if it would work? i'll put my husband on it and report back to you. he could figure out the closest thing to breast skin and i'll try it.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges
User Tag List