What to do about a toddler whose latch isn't so great anymore - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nursing my 23 month old whose latch has seemed to have deteriorated over the last few months. He just doesn't seem to open his mouth as wide as he could and moves his teeth back and forth and every time after nursing I have teeth marks on my nipple. Doesn't hurt but it is uncomfortable. Thoughts or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 PM

Depends what you want to do. If you think it is time, you could try weaning. I don't think there is much else you could do at this point. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 PM

I bet you could just explain to your lo that the way he is nursing is hurting you. Then describe exactly what he can do/stop doing to make this better. I have had to have these conversations many times for very similar reasons. Sometimes every time we nurse. Usually they want to nurse so badly that they are very willing to work wit you to try to remedy the situation. You definitely don't need to wean over an uncomfortable latch - if you don't want to:)
HTH!!

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges
User Tag List