Nursed twins for 16 months... now feel like giving up after a week with new baby! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So... I know I shouldn't have supply issues, but the social issues are really getting in my way this time - especially the "having two 2.5 year olds" thing.

My mom's only in town for another two weeks, and my husband goes back to work next week.  If left to her own devices, baby girl nurses all day long, but won't "finish" a feeding.  We burp, we unclothe, we change diapers, I try compressions, position changes.  I have to pump a lot of times after she nurses (while she cries, because she's not suckling anymore) because I'm worried about getting an infection.  There are few rest periods that aren't on me or someone else, and everyone else in the house insists on giving her bottles the minute I need a break - even then, she's drinking a LOT, I feel.  Between 6 and midnight last night, she had 11oz of expressed milk, and I can't keep up pumping like that AND nursing her all day.  

Even on days she "just" nurses, she has plenty of diaper output, but I'm trapped on the couch all day and all night.  Cosleeping is out of the question without some *serious* life re-organization, and she doesn't sleep in her crib so right now we take turns on the couch with her in a bouncy.  It's a nightmare.

I'm on the verge of EPing.  Please tell/remind me that she'll turn around soon, or actually start finishing a feed.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#2 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM

New babies are hard, and change a lot in those first few weeks. Don't worry about two weeks from now. Figure out what you need right now. Like maybe a little bit of sleep.

So much sympathy. And I can't  believe I find myself thinking about following in your footsteps.

#3 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 PM

I had some issues with my third baby the first few weeks too. I found that when I started eatting richer foods (avacados, chocolate milk, whole grains...etc.) my milk was thicker and more filling. So much easier on me when I'm filling up with I guess fatty food but worth it too. Little extra richness in my diet = more energy and more satified baby. Not only could I sleep but I was getting some things done arround the house and even throwwing in some yard work, so no worries gaining weight for me because I was working it all off. Take a deep breath and an extra filling snack here and there and I'm sure you'll both be fine in a few days. Just one mother's advice on a grateful day.

#4 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM

I'm on the verge of EPing.  Please tell/remind me that she'll turn around soon, or actually start finishing a feed.

She'll turn around soon!!! Before you know it, she'll be finishing a feed too! :)

Oh those first few weeks are....so. hard. But they zoom by.

You said you'd have to re-organize your life to co-sleep. Don't know exactly what you mean by this, but I have to say that co-sleeping has saved my life. DS (now 5 months) was like your little one, and being able to lie down with him all night made such a difference. He nursed pretty much all night for a while there, and even though I wasn't sleeping for much of the night, I was definitely resting. What would you have to change to make co-sleeping possible? It might be worth it...

#5 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Do you have a ring sling? If you put her in a ring sling you can nurse her on the move. No need to sit on the couch then. If you google 'maya wrap newborn' you will get the video tutorials of how to nurse in a sling, any ring sling.

Sorry, I would link but my mouse if not working to copy/paste. Best wishes to you and congratulations on your new baby.

*read all safety directions pertaining to carrying a newborn in a sling (be sure to maintain open airway).

#6 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 PM

EPing is so hard!!! You don't realize it but you have made things hard for yourself. It's not nice to mess with mother nature. If you stop pumping and bottles your body will make the amount of milk you need. It is not helping you for others to give bottles. Get a Moby or a sling and you can nurse and do other things. Put a bassinet in your room. Nurse in bed and pop baby back in the bassinet when done.

I am a grandmother living with my son's family. I have 3.5 yo (he is an exceptional child and counts as at least 2 children) and 7 week old grandson and I'm the primary caretaker. I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, and other health problems and it isn't ideal for me to be taking care of 2 young children 50+ hours a week while they are at work and most of the time when they are at home. What I keep telling myself since the baby was born is that I am on baby time. I don't get out, I don't get to do fun things, I don't know what day it is, I'm trapped in my little 100 square foot room, I don't sleep and I'm not eating right. In my room I have a changing table with clothes, toddler rocker, baby bouncer, two dog beds, a big chair and stool, a sewing machine out and ready to sew, desk, a big old fashioned tv, a mountain of stuff I don't know were to put, along with normal bedroom stuff.  I need to do about 5 loads of laundry. It's okay, that's how it is supposed to be right now. I am on survival mode. As the baby gets older things will get easier.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#7 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 AM

First few weeks are hard. I don't think it's a good idea to give bottles this early on. You just have to decide to persevere in this situation and remember *things will get better.* Breastmilk is one of the greatest gifts you can give your baby. And, try not to worry about other people. I quit breastfeeding my first when he was 9 months because of how embarrassed I was when I had to breastfeed around others. I regret that decision. With my second, I went to 17 and a half months and decided it's no one else's business and it's their problem if they don't like it. Others are always going to judge you for things you believe in. You just have to do what's right for you and baby and forget about them. 

P.S. 

EPing would be way harder than just breastfeeding most of the time. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page