Working and milk needs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dil went back to work this week and I am taking care of my 7 week grandson. She has been gone 10 hours a day and left 4oz, 3 oz, and today a little over 1 oz of milk. I think he needs an ounce for every hour she is gone. She has a hospital grade pump from WIC but says she has no place to pump at work. That means she isn't pumping or feeding for 10+ hours. She sleeps with him and nurses all night. She breastfed their 3.5 year old for 2.5 years but she didn't go back to work until he was 10 months.

My son, grandson (the baby's brother), my son's two brothers, and I all have a very rare immune deficiency disease called Common Variable Immune Deficiency (CVID). We all have allergies. His brother has had head to toe eczema since he was an infant and has food and other allergies. All of us except his brother have asthma. His brother will probably get it with as bad as his allergies are. This baby must be breastfed and shouldn't get any formula.

So far he is gaining very well (better than any of my 3 or his brother), is chubby, is having very wet diapers, and I'm changing several diapers with stools during the day. That's why I'm not in a panic. My son recognizes that something should be done, she doesn't. If she won't pump more milk (she may not) should my son try and get milk from the milk bank in California? He handles all the kids medical issues and could get a prescription. Should we try and get local milk? The baby needs IgA and I'm not sure what freezing does to IgA. Local fresh milk may be better. Since he will get most of his milk from his mother it may not be an issue. We may need about 40 oz a week.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#2 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Can she pump in the car on the way to and from work, and on breaks?  Is there an office she can pump in once a day?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 9 Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

She won't. She isn't concerned that the baby has 1-4 oz for 9 hours.

#4 of 9 Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

My son, the baby's father, is concerned and thinks the baby needs more breastmilk. She leaves medical decisions up to him and would probably be relieved if we were able to get donor milk since she won't pump at work.

#5 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hmm... 1 oz in 9 hours for a 7 week old does sound a little low to me, gotta say. If the baby is nursing all night, then he probably doesn't need huge amounts of milk, but I'd probably aim for at least 8 oz.

Could you point her to kellymom where she should read up on how much milk the baby needs? It would be good if she could do at least a little pumping at work.

#6 of 9 Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Is there a bathroom she can use? If you're organized, even a bathroom stall will work! This is what I often do at work - all you need is a hand pump and a jar or resealable bags for the milk. If she doesn't have a fridge available, she could store in a lunchbag cooler with ice packs until she gets home.

When my son was 7 weeks old he nursed constantly. I can't even imagine leaving him for 9 hours with 1 oz of milk.

#7 of 9 Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Her employer is legally obligated to provide her with a place other than the bathroom and sufficient break time to pump (although they can ask her to clock out). Sounds like she may not be interested in making it work, though.
#8 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 AM

I agree that the babe needs more milk during the day.  Donor breastmilk if not his mother's own milk.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#9 of 9 Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

She must leave more breastmilk for the baby or investigate donor milk or an appropriate forumla. A young infant probably still needs 9-10 oz. or more. 1 oz is just crazy

Only some babies reverse cycle and it shouldn't be because of lack of food during the day.

Some pumping ideas: go to the car and use the car charger adapater; use a women's restroom even if it isn't ideal; ask for accomodation for a lacation room or to have access to an office with a locked door; pump on the way to work in the car; come home during the day to nurse baby or have baby brought to her

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page